Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered my pulley and belt today... making plans now for the install.

Other than snapping the bolt, has anyone run across other "gotcha's" that I should be aware of?

Right now, I plan on following the play-by-play as shown on the mirracerros website. Has anyone found any flaws with these instructions?

I assume that the destructions for a 2000 should be basically the same for an '01, right? I know the part is different because, Ford in their infinite wisdom likes to change things mid-production... but is the installation basically the same?

geez... you'd think i've never done this before.... well, it has been about 15 years since i did this last. and that was on a chevy... ahh, the good ol' days. :wtf:

·
Registered
930 Posts
as far as i know it should work on your car, but no promises. what length belt do you have. most run 96" belts but i have a 96.6" belt with no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Longer bolt is very very important. Also on my AODE I had to wedge a breaker bar into the pulley to keep it from spinning while I cranked on the main bolt that holds it in place.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The 2001's and up are internally balanced, doesn't that mean they don't have the dampener the same as the early 2000's and older?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Gotcha, that's why mine has the raised part and the new ones don't. I thought that raised part WAS the dampener.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
V6PowerStang said:
as far as i know it should work on your car, but no promises. what length belt do you have. most run 96" belts but i have a 96.6" belt with no problems.
It's coming with a 96.8" belt.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
99vert said:
Longer bolt is very very important. Also on my AODE I had to wedge a breaker bar into the pulley to keep it from spinning while I cranked on the main bolt that holds it in place.

Great pic's. Thanks for the suggestion!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okay,
So I got it installed yesterday with vitually no problems. After driving to/from work today I opened the hood while it was running just to make sure everything looked okay... not so much. I noticed that the balancer appears to be wabbling quite a bit, although the pulley looks straight.

When I installed it I torqued it down to 115 ft/lbs... before I installed, I compared the new one to the old one and it appears to be the correct version (i.e. the 2001/2000 change). Anyone have any idea what I may have done wrong? I followed the instructions on the mirracerros website...

Help!!!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
proving once again the technologcal inferiority of the 99+. Well, except for that 40 hp gain, BUT PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT, THEY ARE ONMLY TRYING TO SWOON YOU! :D

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
well you need a puller to get the old one off and when you put it back on make SURE you tq it down to 125 lbs, i didnt and my check engine light came on, tq it down good and check it 3 or so days after to make sure the tq is still there on the bolt. run some lube around the place where the balancer slides over, and also run some thread lock on the bolts holdnig the pulley on (99 up only) pre 99 you only pop off the pulley and put another one on, very easy.

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
also 01 up have naturally balanced set up with out a etch out of the balancer, make sure if you have 99 up you get the correct type for your car or you will really be messed up :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
SpectorV said:
also 01 up have naturally balanced set up with out a etch out of the balancer
Could you explain a little more what you mean by "without a etch out"?

·
Premium Member
25,803 Posts
the 01 up have a harmonic balancer that is totaly round with out any indention on the side of it, the pre 01 have a little groove on the side for balancing the engine, so you have to go crawl up under there and take a look to make sure you get the correct balancer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts