Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
I've heard of March pullys. They're just the cheap piggyback style. Try eBay, I think I saw some steedas on there yesterday for $120. I'd stay away from piggyback ones. I got my steedas brand new on eBay for $71. Have some patience and a deal will pop up.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
jdavis96gt said:
I've heard of March pullys. They're just the cheap piggyback style. Try eBay, I think I saw some steedas on there yesterday for $120. I'd stay away from piggyback ones. I got my steedas brand new on eBay for $71. Have some patience and a deal will pop up.
+11 on the piggyback style!..

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
March Performance has been making pulley systems for 25 years, and their #1158-08 crank pulley is considered one of the best out there.

The 1158-08 is a not a piggy-back pulley, is fluid dampened, and meets SFI 18.1 specifications:

One thing however, the ad linked by the OP seems to be for just the crank pulley/dampener--not the complete kit, March p/n 1180-08.

-------------------------
March does make a line of cheap aluminum UDPs using a piggy-back crank pulley, though I do not know why--other than to cater to those who like to buy the cheapest there is for their cars.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
How much hp can you expect with steeda or bbk pullys?
Any power "increase" (it's not really an increase, it is just more of the engine's power getting to the rear wheels) from UDPs comes from two areas.

1) The drive ratio from the crank pulley to the engine accessories is changed so as to reduce the speed of those devices and therefore reduce the amount of power they consume--leaving more engine power to get through to the wheels.

The AC compressor and power steering pump just run at the new lowered speed, howver UDP "kits" typically include replacement water pump and generator pulleys to restore some driven speed to those--both being somewhat critical to proper operation.

2) The altered drive ratios also mean less engine power is required to accelerate ("spin-up") the driven accessories--this accelerative power is then available to the wheels as well.

12 to 15 HP more to the ground is perhaps possible under best case conditions--maybe--with the AC on, and the generator operating near full capacity; however to be realistic the PCM cuts the AC out at WOT anyway and it is unlikely the generator would be working at full load during a WOT run. So think more like an additional 3-5 HP getting to the wheels.

Under normal cruising conditions you may gain a bit of fuel economy, but don't expect too much there either.

All that said I have the Steeda pulleys and did notice improved performance in the lower gears and under hard acceleration, here again though if you are the sort that never "floors it", and always shifts at 3k rpm or less, you will never know they are there...

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
cliffyk said:
Any power "increase" (it's not really an increase, it is just more of the engine's power getting to the rear wheels) from UDPs comes from two areas.

1) The drive ratio from the crank pulley to the engine accessories is changed so as to reduce the speed of those devices and therefore reduce the amount of power they consume--leaving more engine power to get through to the wheels.

The AC compressor and power steering pump just run at the new lowered speed, howver UDP "kits" typically include replacement water pump and generator pulleys to restore some driven speed to those--both being somewhat critical to proper operation.

2) The altered drive ratios also mean less engine power is required to accelerate ("spin-up") the driven accessories--this accelerative power is then available to the wheels as well.

12 to 15 HP more to the ground is perhaps possible under best case conditions--maybe--with the AC on, and the generator operating near full capacity; however to be realistic the PCM cuts the AC out at WOT anyway and it is unlikely the generator would be working at full load during a WOT run. So think more like an additional 3-5 HP getting to the wheels.

Under normal cruising conditions you may gain a bit of fuel economy, but don't expect too much there either.

All that said I have the Steeda pulleys and did notice improved performance in the lower gears and under hard acceleration, here again though if you are the sort that never "floors it", and always shifts at 3k rpm or less, you will never know they are there...
Nice. +11

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
southernstang00 said:
If it's not too late I have a set of used steeda pulleys I will let go for 80 and whatever shipping is to your area.
Fairly new? Or used

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
OP, make sure the water pump pulley is the correct one for your model year, pre-2001 models used a "long nose" water pump, 2001+ had a short nose water pump--also I have seen some 2001 early production models with the long-nose water pump, so check to be sure...

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
OP, make sure the water pump pulley is the correct one for your model year, pre-2001 models used a "long nose" water pump, 2001+ had a short nose water pump--also I have seen some 2001 early production models with the long-nose water pump, so check to be sure...
If its the wrong water pulley, I got the steeda 01-04 water pulley. I'd trade u. Mines brand new.

Southernstang I forgot who I chatted with about trading. That's why I never got ahold of u to trade.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts