Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok this an old thread, but while changing my rear brakes recently I noticed mine have been removed to make room for my rear tires.

Are there any adverse affects, like ride quality wise? My car is lowered and I understand and accept that the ride is going to be on the stiff side but humps in the road(@ highway speeds) feel funny or extra stiff out back. Those slight elevation changes at the beginning and end of bridges as well.

Thanks

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
Re: Quad shocks

Ok this an old thread, but while changing my rear brakes recently I noticed mine have been removed to make room for my rear tires.

Are there any adverse affects, like ride quality wise? My car is lowered and I understand and accept that the ride is going to be on the stiff side but humps in the road(@ highway speeds) feel funny or extra stiff out back. Those slight elevation changes at the beginning and end of bridges as well.

Thanks
Not really, other than if you don't have aftermarket lower control arms it will tend to wheel hop more during fast take offs. What you are feeling is the compression stiffness of your shocks most likely. Hitting bumps at highway or high speeds usually does feel like you are running over logs. Basically it happens so fast the shocks don't have time to respond is my theory. :good:

P.S. Moving posts to a new open thread. :good:

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
:good: Ty!

No wheel hop issues with my Slug-0-Matic and 3.27's :lmao:

As for my shocks, would I get a substantial improvement with new OEM units or aftermarket ones? Or I just have to live with it?

Adding control arms would just make it more prominent right?

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
:good: Ty!

No wheel hop issues with my Slug-0-Matic and 3.27's :lmao:

As for my shocks, would I get a substantial improvement with new OEM units or aftermarket ones? Or I just have to live with it?

Adding control arms would just make it more prominent right?

New shocks might help the issue, but to get something soft enough to lessen the impacts you described may make it very soft and bouncy at lower speeds.

Adding the aftermarket lower control arms should not make it worse. They will however greatly increase the strength of rear end attachment and provide better traction and side to side rear end control. The factory units are pretty weak and the factory rubber bushings get soft over time, so they don't provide the best support.

·
Registered
254 Posts
You gotta remember its an old car and the ride will never be THAT great. You can make it a little better with shocks and springs but short of an IRS, it will always be bumpy

·
Registered
692 Posts
An IRS in a fox would be pretty sexy... As well as watching the whole back-end squat under throttle...

·
Banned
8,044 Posts
wc3john said:
An IRS in a fox would be pretty sexy... As well as watching the whole back-end squat under throttle...
Not if you have some umi lift bars. ;) the backend will actual raise up because of the changed geometry. Of course only to a certain point, then of course it will equate. It's pretty cool how it does it though.

·
Registered
254 Posts
wc3john said:
Ha that would be sweet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts