Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought this car from someone who should have left the repair work with the professionals. The top was bad and he did a half-a$$ job of replacing it and somehow lost most of the hardware to attach to the deck like the nuts and torx screws. I got everything I needed from the junk yard but still think I’m missing stuff. I noticed the rh quarter window was loose and ended up pulling it right out. Wasn’t attached to bracket any longer. Took it in to get fixed and the guy told me it was missing weather stripping. It looks like I’m missing the inner weather strip that keeps the glass pressed up against the outer strip when the window goes up. Probably why it came unattached because nothing was there to keep it steady as it went up and down. As I’m trying to figure how this window is adjusted it looks like the lower bolt of the regulator can be adjusted inwards and outwards. My existing regulator doesn’t have the adjusting nut so it all the way in which makes the window come inwards when going up and not going into the rubber seal. So, I’ve got the adjustment part figured out but need another piece of glass since they don’t ever go back right once the original seal is broken. What I need help with is this inner weather strip. I can find them for sale but see no details on how/where they are mounted. They are missing on both sides.

Issue #2. I replaced the weather strips from the convertible top rails and I’m about to pull my hair out. They aren’t going in right and pinching when closing top. I replaced one at a time using exact matching replacement part. I just can’t get them in and aligned right. What’s the trick here? A couple seem to be perfect but the back ones are not right and the next one forward also gives me issues. I can take pics to show how they’re binding up if that helps. I was hoping for a video showing details on replacement/install and a video that might show those inner weather strips so I know where they go. I’ve seen some idea from a new mustang but not the SN95 models. Hope you all can give me some advice. Don’t want to buy more parts I may not need. And want to try an avoid going to a window repair place to get one or the other fixed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
I bought this car from someone who should have left the repair work with the professionals. The top was bad and he did a half-a$$ job of replacing it and somehow lost most of the hardware to attach to the deck like the nuts and torx screws. I got everything I needed from the junk yard but still think I’m missing stuff. I noticed the rh quarter window was loose and ended up pulling it right out. Wasn’t attached to bracket any longer. Took it in to get fixed and the guy told me it was missing weather stripping. It looks like I’m missing the inner weather strip that keeps the glass pressed up against the outer strip when the window goes up. Probably why it came unattached because nothing was there to keep it steady as it went up and down. As I’m trying to figure how this window is adjusted it looks like the lower bolt of the regulator can be adjusted inwards and outwards. My existing regulator doesn’t have the adjusting nut so it all the way in which makes the window come inwards when going up and not going into the rubber seal. So, I’ve got the adjustment part figured out but need another piece of glass since they don’t ever go back right once the original seal is broken. What I need help with is this inner weather strip. I can find them for sale but see no details on how/where they are mounted. They are missing on both sides.

Issue #2. I replaced the weather strips from the convertible top rails and I’m about to pull my hair out. They aren’t going in right and pinching when closing top. I replaced one at a time using exact matching replacement part. I just can’t get them in and aligned right. What’s the trick here? A couple seem to be perfect but the back ones are not right and the next one forward also gives me issues. I can take pics to show how they’re binding up if that helps. I was hoping for a video showing details on replacement/install and a video that might show those inner weather strips so I know where they go. I’ve seen some idea from a new mustang but not the SN95 models. Hope you all can give me some advice. Don’t want to buy more parts I may not need. And want to try an avoid going to a window repair place to get one or the other fixed.

I'm assuming you are talking about a rag top. I had the same issues with my '96 GT. I replaced the wheatherstripping but still have drips. Bought the rest of the weather proofing from Amazon but due to no garage space and summer temps I have to wait for cooler temps on the driveway to replace those and the headlights.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I got the weatherstripping for the quarter glass. Looking at the shop manual and sure enough, there are interior weatherstrips. Since my car has none, I never knew they existed. Probably part of the reason the window broke loose from the bracket, it’s moving around too much. I’ve got to take the side moldings off to put them in, the attach to the metal from inside the body. I’ll just wait until my new window arrives before doing it. I don’t want to do the same labor twice getting that back seat out.

Reactions: andya

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Weatherstripping solves issue along with a new quarter glass. Now on to more issues with my door window not aligning up right and adjustments won’t work. Posted a separate thread for that one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Weather strip issue

Not trying to hijack your post, but were did you get the 1/4 glass weather stip? I have an 03 Vert and Can not find a passenger side weather strip for just the side rear window?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not trying to hijack your post, but were did you get the 1/4 glass weather stip? I have an 03 Vert and Can not find a passenger side weather strip for just the side rear window?
Got it on eBay. Ford part # is 297B06
94-04 FORD MUSTANG CONVERTIBLE QUARTER WINDOW GLASS LH RH 297B06 WEATHERSTRIP

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now it’s leaking up where the top meets the windshield. It’s not the gasket from the top, it’s the one that goes up the side of the windshield and wraps around to the other side. Not sure what this part it. Just want my car to stop leaking. I’ve got no garage to park it in and car covers are useless. There’s to much wind and even with tie down covers they still blow over or tear.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not sure if anyone will see this but I’ve got new issues with my top. This is a solid top, not two pieces, and the window has come unsealed at the bottom. Not the glass itself. The vinyl separated from the vinyl at the seal point.
I’m thinking I’ll just clean both surfaces real good and apply some sort of adhesive weatherstrip there. I think I found one from 3M that is black and meant for vinyl among other surfaces.
Looking for thoughts and suggestions.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts