Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Ive looked on the thread and internet and have seen alot of people complaining about the strong fuel smell with the pipe. I was wondering if anyone has that issue this is my DD and was curious about this. Thanks

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
It's never bothered me but the wife notices it. Part of the reason I have high flow cats now

·
Registered
916 Posts
You smell it a little but it never really bothers me.

·
Loc: Austin,TX
5,980 Posts
Like you said it varies from person to person. I hate the smell of mine in the garage or on start up but when the windows are up I can't smell a thing.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK thanks guys I'll probably get the high flow cats because wife rides with me and won't like that

·
Registered
681 Posts
Smells fine to me. With your windows up you wont smell it at all, but if you stop at a light or something with the windows down you'll smell it pretty good lol.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I love the smell as well, and I can smell it pretty well with the windows down on a cold start, or sometimes I can smell it at a stop light with the windows down but only a little. With the windows up, I cant smell a damn thing! But sometimes when I have the A/C or heater on, I can slightly smell it. I think it's usually when I'm at a stop light or when I just turn it on, I cant remember. It's nothing bad at all overall though. I just wish it would smell a bit more... xD

·
Registered
776 Posts
You will definitely have a smell difference but it isnt that bad. I love the smell. It smells like a 5.0 fox body imo. It isnt too strong plus the benefit of power and sound out weighs the "con"

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
the sound will be amazing thats what matters. the smell is not bad at all. the only time u mightt smell it is when ur at a stop with ur windows down. but its not that bad.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the sound will be amazing thats what matters. the smell is not bad at all. the only time u mightt smell it is when ur at a stop with ur windows down. but its not that bad.
OK I'm just nervous cause in the spring and summer I rife with my windows down a lot and don't want to be smelling fuel the whole time. Is there a huge difference in sound and power vs the high flow cats?

·
Registered
4,265 Posts
OK I'm just nervous cause in the spring and summer I rife with my windows down a lot and don't want to be smelling fuel the whole time. Is there a huge difference in sound and power vs the high flow cats?
high flow cats will keep the noise level down like regular cats but they are way better performance wise. but ive never had them on my car so im not 100% sure. but with an off road mid pipe ur going to LOVE the sound. and ur not really going to smell anything just sum times when ur at stand still for a while with the windows down. its not really a big deal though. so no worries

·
Registered
43 Posts
If your car is stock, then the difference between having high flow cats and no cats is very minimal. Having no cats means much freer flowing and less backpressure, which feels like a loss of of power low but it does feel like it pulls a tiny bit harder up top. If you have the cats on, it'll be more restricted but results in more backpressure, which helps down low with torque. But like I said, it's very minimal. When my girlfriend removed her cats and had her car dynoed, she gained around 3 HP and lost 4 ft-lbs of torque. I can just barely feel it and it's nothing significant.

When I had on my stock exhaust, it pulled much harder down low. When I replaced my stock exhaust, it pulled a little less down low but I felt it pull a bit more up high. REAL power differences with/without the cats will happen when you supercharge. :D

Sound wise, high flow cats keep it down and tone down the rasp. No cats, makes it much louder and raspier. It sounds absolutely amazing and much more aggressive when I get on it. You'll love an offroad midpipe. Which makes me want to ask, what mufflers do you have on?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If your car is stock, then the difference between having high flow cats and no cats is very minimal. Having no cats means much freer flowing and less backpressure, which feels like a loss of of power low but it does feel like it pulls a tiny bit harder up top. If you have the cats on, it'll be more restricted but results in more backpressure, which helps down low with torque. But like I said, it's very minimal. When my girlfriend removed her cats and had her car dynoed, she gained around 3 HP and lost 4 ft-lbs of torque. I can just barely feel it and it's nothing significant.

When I had on my stock exhaust, it pulled much harder down low. When I replaced my stock exhaust, it pulled a little less down low but I felt it pull a bit more up high. REAL power differences with/without the cats will happen when you supercharge. :D

Sound wise, high flow cats keep it down and tone down the rasp. No cats, makes it much louder and raspier. It sounds absolutely amazing and much more aggressive when I get on it. You'll love an offroad midpipe. Which makes me want to ask, what mufflers do you have on?
OK good info I currently have borla stingers on right now but will be selling them to get the borla ATAK

·
Registered
916 Posts
OK good info I currently have borla stingers on right now but will be selling them to get the borla ATAK
It will be pretty loud with an offroad pipe and the borla stingers or borla atak mufflers being that they are both straight through mufflers

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Stang23 said:
It will be pretty loud with an offroad pipe and the borla stingers or borla atak mufflers being that they are both straight through mufflers
And thats what im looking for I dont want it obnoxious loud I just want everyone to hear the stang coming

·
Registered
916 Posts
And thats what im looking for I dont want it obnoxious loud I just want everyone to hear the stang coming
Then I would say go for the offroad pipe with the Borla atak mufflers. Should sound awesome!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts