Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well my night went to sh*t last night when I payed for metered parking and arrived back to my car only 15-20 mins late. They towed it. What should I look for, damage wise, since I know I am manual, parking brake was set, and possibly was in gear(don't remember).

I am still pretty furious. 250$ for barely being late. Towed only 1 mile from where it was at.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Well my night went to sh*t last night when I payed for metered parking and arrived back to my car only 15-20 mins late. They towed it. What should I look for, damage wise, since I know I am manual, parking brake was set, and possibly was in gear(don't remember).

I am still pretty furious. 250$ for barely being late. Towed only 1 mile from where it was at.

They probably opened it and released the brake and such.
BTW...I know the feeling.

·
Registered
774 Posts
better chance of body damage than there is damaging the drive train, youll be fine

·
Registered
1,987 Posts

Barely Being Late is like Barely Cheating on Your Wife or Girlfriend!

·
Registered
621 Posts
Barely Being Late is like Barely Cheating on Your Wife or Girlfriend!
Except that it will cost you a whole lot more than $250 if it is your wife!!!

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
Was this at a parking meter on the public street?
Everywhere around here just writes a parking ticket if you are caught parked with an expired meter.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nope. Parking garage. But surprisingly no damage. But I am curious. How do they get into the car without damaging anything?

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
They use the stick or bladders to prop the door open.
A "slim Jim" was used for many years on many cars. I don't know if the door lock linkage has changed much.
A quick google reveals that there are many devices used, depending on the car.
1157336610376743828342.jpeg
The flat bars on the right side of the picture is called a slim jim.

·
Registered
173 Posts
That's Houston for ya. They tow and ticket parked cars so much especially in the inner loop.

·
Registered
976 Posts
So what happens if they damage your car while towing? How does that even play out? Like lets say your side skirt gets ripped off in the process?

2011 Kona Blue Gt

IG - The_Chech

·
Registered
173 Posts
So what happens if they damage your car while towing? How does that even play out? Like lets say your side skirt gets ripped off in the process?

2011 Kona Blue Gt

IG - The_Chech

Unless it was undeniably there fault they would more than likely deny deny deny that anything like that would've happened under there watch. I'm sure it would be a long drawn out process to make them fess up to minor scratches or dings.

That's my 2cents

·
Registered
8,483 Posts
Nope. Parking garage. But surprisingly no damage. But I am curious. How do they get into the car without damaging anything?

That sucks!
I'll know not to mess around when I park in Texas.

They usually break into the passenger side because if they cause any damage it is less likely that you will notice it.
Look closely at the passenger side door, around the roofline. And right above the window. Also, check the weatherstripping to make sure that they didn't tear that up.

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
They will either put dollies under the rear tires or the scooped it from the back. They probably did not open the car. I've also seen these guys put the car in neutral from the underside by picking up the car but they would have to open it to get the hand brake off.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
The bad ones around the Daytona Area just

They will back up the flat top and drag the car up with a winch. They care less if they damage a tow-A-Way zone or handicap cheater car.
The better tow company's will use dolly wheels on the ground wheels and care a lot more about somebody's car.
It is a crap shoot on who gets there first.
Ronnie

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
They usually do not open the car. They hook it up and drag it into the flat bed.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sadly I was in the same boat one time. They put it on dollies and hoist it up on their flatbed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts