Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought a 2000 GT! The car is great but there is one problem. There is a loud grinding, whinnying, annoying sound coming from the rear end... I think it might be the differential but can anybody tell me what it is for sure? Thanks guys

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Id bet it may be the diff making the noise. One way to check is lift the rear on jack stands and spin the wheels to listen to grinding.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
i'd flush the old fluid out and check with a magnet for metal shavings..most likely the teeth are ground down.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
i'd flush the old fluid out and check with a magnet for metal shavings..most likely the teeth are ground down.
You don't have to check with a magnet--to get the fluid out you need to pull the differential housing cover so just take a look and see what you can see...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I thought it was my differential too until I lifted up and check it was my Differential damper Which I just removed

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I thought it was my differential too until I lifted up and check it was my Differential damper Which I just removed
It is very unlikely that the differential damper ("dogbone") would cause the noises the OP describes--very unlikely...

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
It is very unlikely that the differential damper ("dogbone") would cause the noises the OP describes--very unlikely...
+1 the nvh wouldnt make a grinding whining sound since its only a damper. the op describes possible differential with no oil in it, or worst case scenario, like obama said its time for a change, differentials that is.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts