Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at purchasing a 96-98 cobra come summer time, I was just curious as to if people drive their cobras daily. I'm just worried about putting too many km's on it, but I don't know if I should really be worrying about that too much. I would have a second vehicle and wouldn't drive it in the snow or on bad days. What are your guys opinions or tips and information?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I use to drive mine on a daily basis for 3/4 years then bought a second car 2 years ago and drive it more often then the cobra. But cant really drive it right now due to a blown engine. I just like cruising so every chance i got i drive it.

·
Registered
159 Posts
My snake stays in the garage she's got 58,000 on the odo doesn't come out in the rain sleet or snow. Less miles more value, I think keep em low but drive the car that's why SVT worked so hard designing and engineering em was fer us ta drive em. I drove mine today and when that 2012 392 SRT8 Super Bee in my rear view got froggy the snake bit him sucked him up and blew him out the tailpipe ah hahaha he even tried more than once same result but my baby has had a couple power upgrades!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes true, thanks for the output guys. The only cobras in that year that I've found for sale in my are in the color I want both have around 120,000k would that be a pit high to purchase a cobra? I'm thinking so.. Price is 10g and other is 13g.

·
Registered
320 Posts
That's high if it's a 96-98 unless it's a Mistichrome. We paid $10,500 for our 96 2 years ago. Always garage kept and pampered with 37k miles. We now have 44. It had some upgrades but he also gave us all of the original parts in excellent condition.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
:DJust got me a '96 2 weeks ago as my daily driver. I have a van for inclement weather days but love driving the Cobra so much, it's still the first thing I think of each morning I get up. Preventive maintenance as apposed to reactive maintenance is key. Engine & car should go for 100,000's of miles no problem. Love the car, get one! They're awesome in every way.

·
Registered
320 Posts
My snake stays in the garage she's got 58,000 on the odo doesn't come out in the rain sleet or snow. Less miles more value, I think keep em low but drive the car that's why SVT worked so hard designing and engineering em was fer us ta drive em. I drove mine today and when that 2012 392 SRT8 Super Bee in my rear view got froggy the snake bit him sucked him up and blew him out the tailpipe ah hahaha he even tried more than once same result but my baby has had a couple power upgrades!!!
Hi, I was curious as to what power upgrades you've done. I have a 96 Cobra. Thanks, Spiney

·
Registered
159 Posts
Most were done before I got her, there's a site dedicated to 96 Mystic Cobras and the previous owner listed a lot of the mods but there are some he didn't list too. The site is
1996mysticcobra.com
My car is #194 you will see vehicle updates #194 click on that it is the easiest way to find mine. I knew it was fast but I didn't know it was Super Bee swattin fast!

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you try again, not sure why it wouldn't work. Whats up?
Ya didn't work, you have it blocked or something. But anyways, I have a 96 3.8l green mustang, looks kinda like yours. And I love it. I'm thinking about buying a 96-98 cobra as soon as I can finance a vehicle. Just got a couple questions for ya!

How much did you buy it for?
How many kilometers or miles are on it?
Did it come with any mods on the vehicle?
How's fuel efficiency? (I know it's not great)
Is it worth the buy?
Is it fast?

It would be great if you could answer those for me, I really want a 96-98 cobra. Just wanna make sure it's a great buy, as I love my 96!

Thanks

·
Registered
529 Posts
Ya didn't work, you have it blocked or something. But anyways, I have a 96 3.8l green mustang, looks kinda like yours. And I love it. I'm thinking about buying a 96-98 cobra as soon as I can finance a vehicle. Just got a couple questions for ya!

Is it worth the buy?
Is it fast?

It would be great if you could answer those for me, I really want a 96-98 cobra. Just wanna make sure it's a great buy, as I love my 96!

Thanks
Not addressed to me but I had a 98 v6 before getting a 98 cobra. The gas mileage is nearly the same, only slightly less but I think that's due to the gearing. I got mine, which is the rarest color with only 550 coupes built, with 100,000 miles for $ 6800. It was also pretty close to virgin with excellent paint and interior. Best decision I made was getting this car.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh wow that's a good price. Ya my v6 is garbage on gas, feels like a v8 with gas lol but no where near for Hp. That your cobra in the pic? Excellent color, it's really nice! Would it be better to buy a stock cobra and throw my own money into upgrades? Or buy one with upgrades, cause one with upgrades typically will be cheaper to buy it with upgrades then to put my own money in it.

·
Registered
320 Posts
We have a 96 Cobra. With typical driving we get about 17-18mpg. But when we take it out we tend to get on it a few times and generally cruise at highway speeds of 75-80 mph. If we keep our foot out of the gas we have got as much as 24 mpg. I plan on getting a tuner soon. They say you will see both power and mpg increase we will see.

We bought out car 2 years ago. 37.450 miles. Paid $10,500. Ours is black, it was kept in great condition in a heated garage, never driven in rain or snow. Mods were Flowmaster exhaust, new X pipe, no Cats. B&M short shift kit, Superchip, Ford Racing Cobra wheels 17x9. K &N CAI. We also were given all of the original parts if we or next owner wanted to restore it as delivered. It's fast. Previous owner took it to drags at recorded a pass of 13.2 105 mph. From factory 0-60 4.9, top speed is 152 mph. It goes as fast as I want to go. Never regretted buying it. We'd love a Terminator but your talking another $10,000. I hope someday to put a Supercharger on it. Spiney-Dave

---------- Post added at 05:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 AM ----------

One last thing, if you can, buy a 97-98. I understand there were cooling issues and recalls with the 96's. And the later years have improved heads. But do your own research, don't quote me on that.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts

Is it worth the buy?
Is it fast?

-I only paid $5,000 for the car with 73K miles on it. Stock. Paid 1/2 price because my boss sold it to me and he is a mufti-millionaire. He already owns 2 newer GT500 KR's, an older GT350, BMW's, another Cobra, ect...
-The fuel mileage is terrible, probably 17mpg. My V6 gets 27mpg but its very modified and dyno tuned, although still naturally aspirated. I am just beginning to tune up the Cobra. I will get it to 110% efficient soon enough, trust me.
-Is it worth the buy?-YES!!!! It is an incredible vehicle, worth spending the $12,000+ price tag.
-It is powerful, yes. It is fast, yes. There are always faster cars out there but The Cobra is amazing to drive. Today, in 2013, you can not buy the sound and feel of the modular motor. Nothing is the same. It sounds like heaven. Get one, you will love it so much. Good luck!

Thanks

1 - 19 of 19 Posts