Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I brought my car to the race track and all I have to say is....I LOVE IT !! Now here's the question and I need all the input, I'm going to start looking into setting up my 67 fb for the track, whats the best suspension setup and braking setup that I can get for my car??
I know I got the power with the 390 but the original drum breaks and shocks did ok but I want more!! Budget is no issue for now.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
No idea... But beautiful stang...

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks bud, I just wanna race now! I got the big with my car and it wasn't part of the plan. Now it is.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Road course, I've taken racing classes at that location before. But to drive my 67 down the track was so exhilarating. I might drop the car a little, sway bars, I already have coil over shocks in back but I need breaks and for sure some type of X frame connecter. I looked up some brands online and found some coil over and disc brake setups from anywhere of 1500$ to about 6000$. Just for the front, it's pricy but I'm gonna do it this winter. It's all I keep thinking about. Just trying to find the best setup for the pice and caliber of racing that I will be doing. It's just for fun, maybe once or twice a month I would think. But nevertheless, I want to upgrade the car and enjoy it.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
i have wilwood street/strip disks on the front. they sell a kit it works really good i havent taken my car to the track yet but i really want to

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That would be my choice too, what size rim and disc are you using? I would eventually want to put on some 17's on the car. How big of a disc can I get away with?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
The Shelby control arm drop helps a lot on my dads 69 mach1

---------- Post added at 03:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:49 PM ----------

Plus mustang Steve I think sells a kit to put disc brakes off a 2010 gt on the classic stangs

---------- Post added at 03:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:50 PM ----------

BigpapaDean said:
That would be my choice too, what size rim and disc are you using? I would eventually want to put on some 17's on the car. How big of a disc can I get away with?
And 13in is the biggest with a 17 inch wheel

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice! That's what I'm talking about. I need people's opinions and actual examples of parts that you guys use. I think I'll go with the thrust rims 15" and if I go with 17's the vn500's. I really like those vn's. And are we talking about power disc breaks?? I've seen guys just change up the drums for just simple disc and no power. What do you guys think?

As for suspension I will drop the car about an inch to inch and a half and my buddy told me to install a panhard bar in the rear. Very good stabilizer. Any of you guys have some type of frame connectors on ? And if so what is the best? I've seen the "X" type and then the simpler designs.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
....is that based on the fact that the booster isn't strong enough or the engine that can't supply enough pressure? Btw, it's not the first time I hear of this. Just curious to know why.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Theres not enough pressure

---------- Post added at 04:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 AM ----------

It would kill my engine

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
And is dialing up the idle the only way to keep a constant pressure? What I'm asking myself is how do these aftermarket products compare to setups from a gt-gt350-gt500 ? How did those original configurations function properly?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Im sure theres another way to hook up the vacuum line i just dont know it. Theres probably a hu

---------- Post added at 05:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:25 AM ----------

A stock vacuum diagram or a way to route it where you can run it at normal idle im just not to sure how to run everything

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok cool. I'll ask around when I get to that project this winter. Thanks again for your help. How is the performance with your brake setup?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Pretty good i havent really tested it that much i have an adjustable proportioning valve because i have drums on the back it stops good though

·
Registered
420 Posts
travisb depending on what cam your running may be the issue with lack of vaccum, if this is the problem you can setup a vaccum canister and it stores vaccum for when needed as brakes are applied. and as for you papadean, are you wanting to go with a mustang 2 style design or do you want to retain factory towers. there are so many options, but truly you can get pretty damn near the performance with coilovers as you can with coils and struts, they do the same thing they are just more modern and compact. Coilovers obviously are the way to go though if money is no issue and you want maybe that slight edge they give you. i am looking at complete mustang 2 style assemblies hub to hub for my 65 fb build and there are some pretty reasonable setups. but once again it comes down to your necessities and wants and how they will be combined

1 - 20 of 40 Posts