Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that my 1995 3.8 v6 makes a rattling noise under the right side of the car.it happens while taking of i can slightly hear it but when I'm driving up a pretty steep hill it becomes more noticeable.the last time this happen to my car my catalytic converter went out and I had to get it replaced,but the rattling was more aggresive to the point where ill take of from a red light you can hear a terrible rattling noise.im thinking my right catalytic converter might be going out(assuming i have one).any ideas?thank you

·
Registered
630 Posts
Check heat shields and dust covers, if your cars a 5 speed check the little dust cover on the clutch fork, I scraped going into a steep driveway once and all kinds of s$%t started rattling.. it bumped the clutch dust cover and knocked the clamps on tail pipes off..

Also, tap on your cats with the engine off with the handle of a screwdriver or something, if you hear anything rattling chances are a cats bad..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Mine sounds like its coming from the front passenger side when I'm climbing a steep hill, or getting on the throttle pulling out onto the road. It doesn't sound like the rattle is clanking in time with the motor, it's seriously like random rattling...a marble in a coffee can kinda sound. Couldn't find a crack in the manifold. Maybe the gasket?
The cats and mid pipe are all new-ish, so I'm pretty sure they aren't the issue.
Think it could be the timing?
*still scratching my head*

·
Registered
630 Posts
Mine sounds like its coming from the front passenger side when I'm climbing a steep hill, or getting on the throttle pulling out onto the road. It doesn't sound like the rattle is clanking in time with the motor, it's seriously like random rattling...a marble in a coffee can kinda sound. Couldn't find a crack in the manifold. Maybe the gasket?
The cats and mid pipe are all new-ish, so I'm pretty sure they aren't the issue.
Think it could be the timing?
*still scratching my head*
if it doesn't seem to go with the engine rpm id look at other things, check all your suspension and bushings. dust shields, stuff like that

---------- Post added at 02:05 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 AM ----------

Sounds like its coming from the right rear of the car under slow acceleration after a stop. My exhaust is fine, can't find a problem with it.
do you have dual exhaust? get under your car and look where your tail pipes loop up over your rear end, see if there's any marks on the inner loop of the pipe like it was rubbing on the axle.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts