Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Ive had my car for almost a year and have been taking it to jiffy lube to get the oil changed because I have been short on time and the weather last winter was horrible. Now I've decided to start changing it on my own but I have never done this before and was looking for some help. I am thinking of going with Mobil 1 5w30 but what else do I need to buy other than a filter ? Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
for the first time, a drain pan and a funnel. thats it though.

i would suggest 10w30 though instead of 5w30. just my opinion though.

all you do is remove the drain plug, let the oil drain. change filter, put darin plug back in, pour new oil in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
Sil\/erSpeed said:
if you cant find the oil plug, get a manual (haynes, chiltons etc...) they are very good for that type thing.
Ditto. For the simple jobs, Chiltons or Haynes manuals are great.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
Rellik said:
Sil\/erSpeed said:
if you cant find the oil plug, get a manual (haynes, chiltons etc...) they are very good for that type thing.
Ditto. For the simple jobs, Chiltons or Haynes manuals are great.
heck, i still use mine when taking apart the engine or doing a drivetrain swap. they completly tore apart a car and it had a lot of good info in them
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Monkey said:
heck, i still use mine when taking apart the engine or doing a drivetrain swap. they completly tore apart a car and it had a lot of good info in them
Is that the Chilton or the Hayes that you are talking about monkey ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,263 Posts
Monkey said:
for the first time, a drain pan and a funnel. thats it though.

i would suggest 10w30 though instead of 5w30. just my opinion though.

all you do is remove the drain plug, let the oil drain. change filter, put darin plug back in, pour new oil in.
I filter wrench would be helpful also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,286 Posts
a how-to on changing oil?

here you go.
1. jack front k-member up
2. unbolt drain plug
3. let oil drain in pan
4. remove oil filter
5. put new filter on
6. put drain plug back in
7. fill with 5qts of oil
8. start car and drive off into the sunset.

:D 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
151 Posts
you might wanna rub a little bit of fresh oil on the seal of the new filter when you screw it in, just to make sure the gasket is nice an moist. . . thats what ive always done.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
Monkey said:
a how-to on changing oil?

here you go.
1. jack front k-member up
2. unbolt drain plug
3. let oil drain in pan
4. remove oil filter
5. put new filter on
6. put drain plug back in
7. fill with 5qts of oil
8. start car and drive off into the sunset.

:D 8)
Ok, now take that a step further and give us the bolt sizes and TQ specs for the bolt and the filter. Examples of filter types and oil viscosities. Checking the oil on a regular basis. check the oil level after the fill up, and so on. What tools are needed and whre you cna pick everything up. :p
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What are you suppossed to put the old oil in ? Someone told me it was illeagal in some states now to put it in empty milk jugs and stuff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
Ask your local auto store if they recycle oil, and the requirements for getting it there. they usually take it in the big re-usable oil tray containers. They empty it and give you the container back
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,895 Posts
98Blue232 said:
What are you suppossed to put the old oil in ? Someone told me it was illeagal in some states now to put it in empty milk jugs and stuff
yea its illegal to dump that ####, but everyone does it anyway.
I put it in milk jugs, and stick it in a dumpster.
I also believe autozone recycles oil, so they take it free.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top