Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having an issue with my rear brake caliper. I can not install new pads due to the caliper not going in when i turn and push. I am even using the new specific tool, one of the shop guys tried as well...gave me a awkward look and just walked away. Anything?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,120 Posts
jaymjohnson said:
I am having an issue with my rear brake caliper. I can not install new pads due to the caliper not going in when i turn and push. I am even using the new specific tool, one of the shop guys tried as well...gave me a awkward look and just walked away. Anything?
That's not cool :(

Hmm so the rear piston won't release back into the caliper?

Have you tried some lubrication? is it rusted?

I'll help you bump this up!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried taking the cap off of the reservoir in the engine compartment. and yes both sides are giving me issues! i was able to replace the front brakes but not the rear so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
273 Posts
jaymjohnson said:
I tried taking the cap off of the reservoir in the engine compartment. and yes both sides are giving me issues! i was able to replace the front brakes but not the rear so far.
The rear caliper brake pistons on our stangs are twist in pistons. You can rent the special tool to rotate the piston at autozone for $60.00. Just tell them you need brake piston tool kit.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,120 Posts
Alonzo.dargan1 said:
The rear caliper brake pistons on our stangs are twist in pistons. You can rent the special tool to rotate the piston at autozone for $60.00. Just tell them you need brake piston tool kit.
I think he is using that.. He said special tool so I am assuming he's using that. If not then that will solve your problem.. But i think you are.

Hmm are turning it clockwise? And have you tried counter clockwise?

I'd try spraying them down with some cleaner real good. Cover and smother.. Try it again really give it some force..

If that doesn't work, from what I've read you have 2 options.

A: Open the bleeder valve and pray that works.
Or
B. Replace the calipers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I think he is using that.. He said special tool so I am assuming he's using that. If not then that will solve your problem.. But i think you are.

Hmm are turning it clockwise? And have you tried counter clockwise?

I'd try spraying them down with some cleaner real good. Cover and smother.. Try it again really give it some force..

If that doesn't work, from what I've read you have 2 options.

A: Open the bleeder valve and pray that works.
Or
B. Replace the calipers
Yes, i am using the brake tool.

I will try this as soon as i can. If i end up having to replace the calipers i will probably upgrade all of my brakes at the same time. ughhhhh
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
434 Posts
I can not remember if you need to release the E-brake cable, before you screw it in. On some cars the piston will not screw in till you do that. If you tryed to press it in before you got the tool, you may have broken them, and will need to replace them with rebuilts. opening the bleaders will NOT help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I can not remember if you need to release the E-brake cable, before you screw it in. On some cars the piston will not screw in till you do that. If you tryed to press it in before you got the tool, you may have broken them, and will need to replace them with rebuilts. opening the bleaders will NOT help.
I remember the last time i tried i made sure i never set the e brake because i had the issue with my jeep. I will not be back in the states for a little while, so i will not be able to try again for a little bit.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------

I can not remember if you need to release the E-brake cable, before you screw it in. On some cars the piston will not screw in till you do that. If you tryed to press it in before you got the tool, you may have broken them, and will need to replace them with rebuilts. opening the bleaders will NOT help.
Now that i think about it, the E-Brake would make really good sense since i am having issues with both sides.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,120 Posts
jaymjohnson said:
I remember the last time i tried i made sure i never set the e brake because i had the issue with my jeep. I will not be back in the states for a little while, so i will not be able to try again for a little bit.

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:49 PM ----------



Now that i think about it, the E-Brake would make really good sense since i am having issues with both sides.
You don't have it engaged do you?
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top