Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have put new upper and lower controls arms, drag springs, adj shock and i just put a new ford racing drive shaft to fix this problem. the rear end clunks when i shifts. i have not open up the rear yet. the sound is mostly on the passenger side. oh ya the guy that owned the car but 3.73 gears in it so can you please help.

I'm worry about it because i have mickey drag radials.:confused::confused::confused:

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
i have put new upper and lower controls arms, drag springs, adj shock and i just put a new ford racing drive shaft to fix this problem. the rear end clunks when i shifts. i have not open up the rear yet. the sound is mostly on the passenger side. oh ya the guy that owned the car but 3.73 gears in it so can you please help.

I'm worry about it because i have mickey drag radials.:confused::confused::confused:
Probably drive line slack.
Check the U-joints and the slip joint that slides in the transmission. If those are ok, then you may have a lot of slack in the ring and pinion gears.

·
Titus Wadicus
2,103 Posts

r u sure your axel tube isnt hitting your "over axel exhaust pipe"? thats prolly y only hear it on the right side. its a common issue especialy if u have 2.5"-3.0" exhaust. i run dumps now..lol.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Probably drive line slack.
Check the U-joints and the slip joint that slides in the transmission. If those are ok, then you may have a lot of slack in the ring and pinion gears.
I have changed the driveshaft with a new ford racing one. That helped a lil bit but there's still that clunk from the right side. When had the driveshaft off I was spinning flange on the rear end. There's was a lot of play in it but how do I check it to see where it should be.

---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

r u sure your axel tube isnt hitting your "over axel exhaust pipe"? thats prolly y only hear it on the right side. its a common issue especialy if u have 2.5"-3.0" exhaust. i run dumps now..lol.
Nope my exhaust dump right before the rear end

·
Registered
692 Posts
My money is on bad U-joints

---------- Post added at 12:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:49 PM ----------

Does it do from a stop where you hold the brake, put it into gear and hear/feel the transmission go into the gear? If so, I'm almost 100% positive it's Ujoints... You should be able to get up under there and try and turn the driveshaft. If it moves at all, then it is the u joints.

Hope this helps

·
Banned
8,779 Posts
I have changed the driveshaft with a new ford racing one. That helped a lil bit but there's still that clunk from the right side. When had the driveshaft off I was spinning flange on the rear end. There's was a lot of play in it but how do I check it to see where it should be.
---------- Post added at 12:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:15 PM ----------

Nope my exhaust dump right before the rear end
You will have to drain the rear end and pull the cover to check the backlash, better left to someone with experience/proper tools if you have none in that area. In and out axle play is normal because they are c-clip axles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Took the rear end cover off 2 nights ago and found all the spider gears were chipped and worn out so that's why it was clunk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts