1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
timpryor said:
they're 7.5 but if you can upgrade to an 8.8 if you do 7.5 you should get a t-lock too if you upgrade to a 8.8 you just need gears.
If your not going to drag race your car stick with the 7.5 and just get a t lok and gears.

Otherwise I would upgrade

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hmm...so the gears are what is inside of that in the middle right? And if i get the ford racing 7.5 gears will the be better than the stocks? And also, how expensive would it be to totally swich out for an 8.8?

Where does the differential go?

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
the 7.5 and 8.8 are identical minus the rear middle round part is bigger and the gears inside are bigger and the tlok is bigger... thats it its just stronger, even the axles are the same the only issue you need to worry about is get a rear end from the same year as your car or swap over your axles to fix the length, pre 93, 94-98, 99 up are all different axle lengths. the swap is very easy and in the end its really only 150 more~ to buy a brand new 8.8 with gears and tlok already installed adn ready to bolt in.... i would buy a new 8.8 or a used one that you know is in good condition.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
the traction lock is to make both wheels spin right? also what is the difference between the gears and the differential?

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
When You Ahve The Gears And The T-lok And The Pumpkin That Whole Unit Is Called The Differential Or As Many Others Call It The Third Member

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
lol i dont know why but i alwasy think someone is yelling when they talk in all caps i even read it to my self like that ha ha

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was told that if i switched to 3.73 gears in my v6 that I wouldn't only lose alot of gas mileage, but it would mess up my spedometer/RPM's as well. I plan on draging my car on the weekends, but it is also my only source of transportation. is it still worth it to make the swap?

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
You will lose about 2mpg on the highway and gain about 1mpg in the city~ there about. I averaged 21mpg in my 01 v6 with bolt ons and no tune and 3.73 gears. You will shave off 2.5 tenths or so in the quarter going to 3.73 gears. Your speedo will be off but with a 100 buck speed cal (if you have a manual tranny) you can fix it. You can also fix it with a programmer so just get a custom dyno tune and fix it if you go that route. It is expensive but the best thing you can really do~

1 - 19 of 19 Posts