Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 09 mustang GT that I bought a year ago and my rear end just starting making a funny noise. I only hear it when I turn either way and it gets louder the longer i drive it. It kind of sounds like I rubbing noise. The mechanic I brought it to said he was sure that it was the rear differential that needed to be serviced. He did the work I drove it home and the noise is still there. Any ideas would help.

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Honestly... This won't affect your LSD ability whatsoever - add a half bottle to a full bottle of ford friction modifier to your rear. I had the same problem any time I'd abuse my car.. Adding a bottle of modifier took care of everything

·
Premium Member
2,506 Posts
Have you tried the friction modifier? Mine sounded 100% like it needed a rebuild every time I took a turn, the hotter the rear/car the louder it was (esp after a pass at the track) Has to do with the carbon fiber type clutch material used and there was a TSB on it from ford

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Thanks for the help looks like my rear diff. Needs a rebuild though. Definitely caused by the last owner.
drinktheocean,

What did your mechanic do when he first serviced the rear? Find out kind of fluid he filled the diff back up with and if he added any friction modifier, like like mentioned above. I would find out some more info before you rebuild the whole rear!

Shane

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry it's been a while... I'm in the coast guard and was away for a bit. I took the car out and drove it for a bit before letting them do the whole rebuild and the noise completely went away. They did put the additive in, I think it just needed to warm up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts