Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, inititially, I was very pleased with the gear change (2.73 - 3.73) provided by Steeda in Pompano Beach.

I completed the proper break-in procedure as directed by Steeda. Today, after exactly one week, I was driving and it sounded like I was being followed by a siren. The rear end was whining. And loud enough to be easily noticed.

I called Steeda. I'm still waiting for a reply.

I'm driving 1200 miles tomorrow. Or not.

I'll update as this saga progresses.

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
Seems like it could be a bad bearing and not Steedas fault. I'm willing to bet they will take care of you. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions, but I can understand how you would get frustrated.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
Sometimes you need to do a few tweaks after the installation. It's all part of the game.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
What i've noticed after having both 3.55 and 3.73 in my Fiance's V6s is that it just seems the steeper cut gears have more noise. That being said, having to re-shim them after install is not uncommon.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
You just need them re shimmed probably it's no big deal. Prob should not have gotten this done right before a 1200 Mile road trip if you were worried or its a problem lol.
It's really not a big deal and you're not screwed, just dont worry and let them fix it, which they will. Your car is fine

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The whine may have been there immediately after the installation, but I just didn't hear it. I lowered the back seat to start packing. Driving with the trunk area open had allowed more sound. I'd suggest if you get a gear swap, lower the seat back to access the trunk. that way you'll hear better.

·
Premium Member
4,069 Posts
the wine may have been there immediately after the installation, but I just didn't hear it. I lowered the back seat to start packing. Driving with the trunk area open had allowed more sound. I'd suggest if you get a gear swap, lower the seat back to access the trunk. that way you'll hear better.

Mine are the factory gears and I noticed a small gear whine when my seats are down also. I also notice way more exhaust noise. Those seats do a great job of cutting down the noise.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Damm man I still haven't had problems on my swap, very sorry to hear that this happened at the same shop I did my gears at, I have 300 on the swap so far, how much miles do you have currently when the whine began?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Steeda just called. They have time to get me in for a fix in 30 minutes. I'm gone.

Update... At Steeda.

Steeda is on it and I feel confidant in a solution.

The folks at Steeda Pompano are truly interested in my satisfaction.

Disclaimer: Sometimes I can be a real dick when things don't go according to plan. This has been one of those occasions, but Steeda is making every effort to get me back on the road. Their efforts are appreciated.

·
Registered
47 Posts
You just need them re shimmed probably it's no big deal. Prob should not have gotten this done right before a 1200 Mile road trip if you were worried or its a problem lol.
It's really not a big deal and you're not screwed, just dont worry and let them fix it, which they will. Your car is fine

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Totally agree with ^^. I have KW V3 Coilovers coming in tomorrow, and as much as I would love to install them, I have a roadtrip coming up the day after. Its my first time messing with coilovers, despite being familiar with spring/shock set up, and I agree that waiting is the best thing before a road trip. :hide:
But i know how exciting it feels to have a modification coming up and how patience can be a ***** so I can see the want and desire as well. :D

All in all, hope they get that whine under control and done before the trip.:thumb:

·
Registered
47 Posts
:thumb:

·
Registered
869 Posts
So what was the problem?

Glad they got you fixed up!

·
Registered
780 Posts
All's well that ends well. Steeda found the problem and fixed it. First class service and first class personnel.
What exactly was the problem and what was the fix?

·
Abominable Mustang
1,926 Posts
Glad you got it fixed. Shop that did my gear swap pulled the bearings to check them since they could access them. Both needed replacement. I was at almost 25k miles

Sent from the Death Star.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Glad they got it fixed up for you. Surprised to hear a bearing problem at only 12k. My gears were done at 13k, at 24 now and still going strong. Must of happened during the install if you didn't have the issue prior to the swap?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Premium Member
1,382 Posts
My rear end had all of the bearings (both pinion, and both carrier) fail at around 40k miles, but this was after they same dealer had monkeyed with the pinion nut and seal for prior warranty work, so they probably screwed up the preload.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts