Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Rear end Whine repaired perfectly by Steeda

6K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  5pointYoBro 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, inititially, I was very pleased with the gear change (2.73 - 3.73) provided by Steeda in Pompano Beach.

I completed the proper break-in procedure as directed by Steeda. Today, after exactly one week, I was driving and it sounded like I was being followed by a siren. The rear end was whining. And loud enough to be easily noticed.

I called Steeda. I'm still waiting for a reply.

I'm driving 1200 miles tomorrow. Or not.

I'll update as this saga progresses.

#7 ·
You just need them re shimmed probably it's no big deal. Prob should not have gotten this done right before a 1200 Mile road trip if you were worried or its a problem lol.
It's really not a big deal and you're not screwed, just dont worry and let them fix it, which they will. Your car is fine

Sent from my 831C using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#12 ·
Totally agree with ^^. I have KW V3 Coilovers coming in tomorrow, and as much as I would love to install them, I have a roadtrip coming up the day after. Its my first time messing with coilovers, despite being familiar with spring/shock set up, and I agree that waiting is the best thing before a road trip. :hide:
But i know how exciting it feels to have a modification coming up and how patience can be a ***** so I can see the want and desire as well. :D

All in all, hope they get that whine under control and done before the trip.:thumb:

#8 · (Edited)
The whine may have been there immediately after the installation, but I just didn't hear it. I lowered the back seat to start packing. Driving with the trunk area open had allowed more sound. I'd suggest if you get a gear swap, lower the seat back to access the trunk. that way you'll hear better.

#9 ·
the wine may have been there immediately after the installation, but I just didn't hear it. I lowered the back seat to start packing. Driving with the trunk area open had allowed more sound. I'd suggest if you get a gear swap, lower the seat back to access the trunk. that way you'll hear better.

Mine are the factory gears and I noticed a small gear whine when my seats are down also. I also notice way more exhaust noise. Those seats do a great job of cutting down the noise.

#10 ·
Damm man I still haven't had problems on my swap, very sorry to hear that this happened at the same shop I did my gears at, I have 300 on the swap so far, how much miles do you have currently when the whine began?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

#11 · (Edited)
Steeda just called. They have time to get me in for a fix in 30 minutes. I'm gone.

Update... At Steeda.

Steeda is on it and I feel confidant in a solution.

The folks at Steeda Pompano are truly interested in my satisfaction.

Disclaimer: Sometimes I can be a real dick when things don't go according to plan. This has been one of those occasions, but Steeda is making every effort to get me back on the road. Their efforts are appreciated.

#16 ·
All's well that ends well. Steeda found the problem and fixed it. First class service and first class personnel.
What exactly was the problem and what was the fix?

#18 ·
Glad you got it fixed. Shop that did my gear swap pulled the bearings to check them since they could access them. Both needed replacement. I was at almost 25k miles

Sent from the Death Star.

#20 ·
My rear end had all of the bearings (both pinion, and both carrier) fail at around 40k miles, but this was after they same dealer had monkeyed with the pinion nut and seal for prior warranty work, so they probably screwed up the preload.

#21 · (Edited)
Arrived safe and sound in Cleveland yesterday.

The trip was 1195 miles with 99% being highway miles. I tried to stay within speed limits and the fastest was 88 mph. I would think the average speed was 70. The gas mileage was an even 27 mpg after the entire trip.

I have no complaints. I really like these gears.

#22 ·
Do you have a stock exhaust? I cant go more than 60 without hearing my Roush's at 2k RPM, the drone can get a little annoying after a 20 mile trip, a 1000+ roadtrip? no thanks lol

#24 ·
Yeah, if your intending on doing major roadtrips like that, any exhaust close to what won't drive you mad might be a Borla Touring or something quiet at idle-2k.

#26 ·
The whole rebuild (bearings and new ring+pinion) cost $550 labor (I supplied parts) including first fluid change free. Yes, there are two pinion bearings, two carrier bearings, and two axle bearings.

#27 · (Edited)
Jesus. Is that a dealership price???

And which bearings most likely went bad??? I have gear whine when accelerating.
For some reason my dumba** didnt get the bearings replaced when i got the gears installed

#28 ·
Jeez 1200 miles? No shops closer? I mean... wow... How much fuel did that cost to go back and forth?

Also FYI for anyone reading, Ford gears do not require any break in. They should be dead silent right after the install and stay that way. If they don't, the installer ****ed up or you got a bad bearing.

#31 ·
You want the entire rebuild kit that AM sells. Always do the bearings unless you KNOW that they are very low miles for sure. Not needing them at 70k... that dude should be fired IMO. That's like not doing the throwout bearing at 70k when you are doing a clutch because it seemed fine then.

#33 ·
That and the $60 pinion bearing since you are a 2010+. And fluid. And the gears themselves obviously.

#34 ·
I got my gear set at LMR for around $150 and the master rebuild kit for around $100 or $120. The parts aren't so bad, it's the skilled labor that will set you back if you are having new gears set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.