Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just recently put ford racing 3.73 gears in my 06 GT and when i first started driving it to break them in, of course they were going to grind a little because they are new, but i have another problem. everytime i turn sharp at a slow speed there is a low tone whine. it only happens when i turn at slow speeds though, im not sure if it does it at high speeds cause i cant hear over my exhaust but i hope theirs nothing wrong. Please help.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
I would drop the pan at least to check the wear pattern and also just a quick look over, better safe then sorry

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what im thinkin it might be is the s shape spring that hold the spider gears. i think that it could be rubbing one of the axles, could this happen. i mean when you make a turn the axles shift a little and that could be what the noise is maybe?

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i just recently put ford racing 3.73 gears in my 06 GT and when i first started driving it to break them in, of course they were going to grind a little because they are new, but i have another problem. everytime i turn sharp at a slow speed there is a low tone whine. it only happens when i turn at slow speeds though, im not sure if it does it at high speeds cause i cant hear over my exhaust but i hope theirs nothing wrong. Please help.
If its a low whine thats normal. Usually goes away after broken in.
No true. PROPERLY installed gears should not whine in the least. Not even a little. Most gear installs whine because most installs are inherently poor.

My gears had 0 whine right off the bat and they are 4.10s which create more friction.

A quality gear, like Ford racing will not whine when properly installed. Period. No matter how long they last, even if "Mine whined for months" etc, they should never whine. AT ALL.

·
Premium Member
5,424 Posts
This is off OPs topic but I didn't wanna start a thread. I'm gonna do a 4.0 to 4.6 swap eventually. Should I just gear my 7.5 rear end or just go ahead and get an 8.8 from a GT pretty sure option 2 is the obvious but jms

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
if they whine they were not setup correctly, but even then some brands depending on the metal make up have more noises than others~ ford racing used to be great, then motive over took their production and they can whine.

Regardless they should never grind etc, not when installed correctly

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
if they whine they were not setup correctly, but even then some brands depending on the metal make up have more noises than others~ ford racing used to be great, then motive over took their production and they can whine.

Regardless they should never grind etc, not when installed correctly
Motive gears were hated by many for so long, I did not know Ford let them make the gears, either way, mine went in flawless.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
Yea, if you can find a quality installer and they KNOW what they are doing most of the times you are good, its just a risk you have to take :(

I would drain/fill the fluid and inspect them after a few hundred miles as well.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts