Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know if I Put a limited slip in my factory open 8" or do I need a new 3rd member... Or any other low cost fixes to the dreaded 1 wheel peel?

·
Registered
16 Posts
BA68 mustang said:
Does anybody know if I Put a limited slip in my factory open 8" or do I need a new 3rd member... Or any other low cost fixes to the dreaded 1 wheel peel?
Do you have stock gears? Will you be swapping them out as we'll?

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
It has the factory 2.79 in it and if I don't have ti I'd prefer not to
2.79 is killing you, you need to bump up the gears and go locker. Beef up the leaf springs or replace the rear suspension with an upgrade. Even with a locking rear, you'll coil those leaf springs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Agree with Ageesrok. You can't go cheap on upgrading the rear end. I would put a locker on only if I had at least 3.50 or 4.11 gears in the back with a proper 9 inch. You wont get much use of a locker with stock gears. In the end you'll find you can do this cheap.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay but I'm concerned with putting shorter gears in it because it's a c4 and it's goanna be my dd if you will (I'm only 16)... Sorry for being so questionative

·
Registered
509 Posts
Don't apologize for asking good questions. Try to give details when you ask and that will speed up the replies. If you want to keep that gear, which is probably a good idea for now, get your springs and shocks in good order so it'll plant the "one wheel" a little better.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Okay but I'm concerned with putting shorter gears in it because it's a c4 and it's goanna be my dd if you will (I'm only 16)... Sorry for being so questionative
There are phone apps and online formulas for calculating your rpm's at 70 mph, for example. You can figure where you are now and then plug in rear end in the low 3's ratio and see how much your rpm's go up, which should give you an idea of how it will affect your fuel consumption. You just need to know you tire height, rear ratio and the speed. I will help to decide if you want gears or what ratio will be best.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay thanks guys... If I do decide to put in a diff and gears would it be cheaper to find a junked 8" and if so what cars would have one?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts