Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im gonna get the t-lok preety soon for my 02 v6 stang. but i want to know if i should get some gears too, what size? what are the benifits of them? i have a manual tranny.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
Id say the majority of people that get the t-lok, get gears.....3.73s are favored by most manuals, and 4.10s for autos. Gears put the car into the powerband faster....kinda like if your driving in 5th, and you down shift a gear.

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
how much will i have to spend to correct the speedo. why are 3.73 better for manuals.

·
Registered
1,715 Posts
how much will i have to spend to correct the speedo. why are 3.73 better for manuals.
You can get a speed cal. i know Dallas mustang makes one.....not sure on price, or you could get a chip the more expensive of the 2
do i get any more rwhp with the gears and t-lok
no, you lower the gear ratio, which puts the car into the power band faster. doesn't actually make power. But a noticeable change in acceleration

·
Registered
113 Posts
232stang said:
why are 3.73 better for manuals.
they aren't necessarily better, they are just preferred. i have 3.73s in my car w/5 spd and i love them but i had to give up some of my top speed and with 4.10s your top speed would be even lower! plus i do a lot of highway driving and with the new gears me mpg has dropped heavily.

·
Banned
11,872 Posts
232stang said:
so maybey i should get just the t-lok because of gas
unless you travel alot at interstate speeds you wont notice alot of gas mileage change between 3.27 and 3.73 gears. If you get a Traction Lok get 3.73 gears atleast. It will help your acceleration out alot

·
Registered
4,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
it is a limited slip differential that allows both driving wheels to spin at the same time

·
Registered
113 Posts
yeah me too. but to me the lower mpg is not that big a deal compared to the fun that my car is to drive now...i used to have 2.73s. acceleration is awesome with the 3.73s and now i can beat some ricers off the line... i used to spend no more than $20 weekly and with the new gears i'm spending around $30 weekly (when gas prices were lower:mad: ); it's up to you to weigh the pros and cons.

·
Premium Member
1,438 Posts
no u will not get more hp out of gears u will just get to the hp that u have quicker (acceleration improvement)

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
232stang said:
i will just get the t-lok
get the gears if youre getting a tlok for sure... i have 4.10s in my auto and i still get 22 mpg on the highway driving about 80mph the whole time.

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
i thought he was saying he was just gonna get a tlok and no gears... basically i didnt read the whole thread lol

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
There is another option guys, everyone forgets about 3.45s. This is pretty close to the 3.55s that come in Mach Is, and Cobras and isn't a bad gear at all, I have 3.55s in my GT now with the Cobra IRS rear end.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts