Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey what gear ratio do you guys think would help my 67 Stang get up and go quicker, but while being suitable for everyday highway driving? I've got a C4 3 speed auto tranny. Any other questions about my setup just ask. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Yea I've heard 4.11 would be too much but I was either thinking 3.55 or 3.73. I have 3.08 right now so they'd both make quite a difference I think. Thanks for the input
3.55 might be plenty, you don't have an overdrive gear.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Would I still get reasonable gas mileage with 3:55? What about 3:42? Would that still provide the quick take off I'm wanting?
It'll help a lot. Heavy duty leaf springs,traction bars, etc. will also help a lot. Keeping the rear tires planted is the other objective along with gears.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
What would be the differences between 3:42 and 3:55? Would it be enough to tell?
I would imagine that it would be fairly hard to tell the difference. Posi would make a big difference.

·
Premium Member
25,464 Posts
what's in there stock? 2.73 vs 3.73 is a big gain overall,

3.42 to 3.55 is very little and you really wont notice at all. When messing around with that stuff, keep in mind that the speedo is not easily re calibrated, they make gears for the transmission but most are not 100% accurate. Some gearing you can get 100% accurate and some you cant. So if 3.42 you can get back accurate and 3.55 you cant.... go 3.42 lol

·
Registered
161 Posts
I currently run 3:08 so would 3.55 be that much of a difference?
a 3.55 gear will make a difference you can feel. your fuel economy will likely drop a couple of mpgs though. when you decide what gear you are going to run, let me know what tire size you are running along with what rear gear you are going to run, and i will tell you what speedo driven gear you want to run to keep your speedo in the proper range.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts