Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While in a local Ford dealership for routine maintenance I was informed that my 2013 V6 coupe with 16,400 miles rear pinion seal is leaking. I asked the service adviser why a vehicle with such low miles would have such an issue - he mentioned that such seal will often dry out due to lack of use, I did store my ride last winter for 4 months where is sat and was not started or driven during that time. Was wondering if any other Stang owner has done the same with their ride and has had a similar issue? Thanks for your time and reply.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Is it still under the 5/60,000 power train?
Look on the left side of the axle and see if there is any moisture on the tube, if so take it back to them and tell him to look up the TSB 12-8-15, it lets fluid out and plugs sometimes causing the pinion seal to leak.

·
Premium Member
6,964 Posts
I'd check the hose as he stated.
I'd to replace it on both my 3Vs. One at 30k and the other at 49k.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
mine was driven often, and i had to get it replaced around 16,000 miles in my 2014. out of nohwere one day i noticed how wet my rear diff was, and i brought it in, and yup they had to replace the gasket.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your reply. Yes it is still under 5year/60k power train warranty. Currently being fixed by local Ford dealership.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pinion seal

very interesting. I just had a speed shop install rear upper and lower control arms and springs on my 2014 gt last week. He sent me a pic, of a leak in the rear end. Said he thought it was the pinion seal. I have just under 17k miles. Its going into the dealer tomorrow to get checked.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I had this problem early on and it turned out to be lube barfing out the axle vent. I installed an axle vent expansion tank and it's been completely dry since.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm at 30K and some change and I just found out I'm leaking. It's still under the 5 year warranty so it's gonna get fixed in a week.

I don't have any serious mods, the rear was lowered .8 inches and the front 1.2 on Eiback springs etc. because I couldn't stand my mustang looking like a raptor lol but I digress.

I don't know if it's just crappy quality seal (material) but I am curious as to why those pinion seals leak like that. I drive the car daily. I got it used at 12K and a few years later I only managed to put 18k miles on her.....

Attachments

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The Vent tube plugs up and that is what causes it to leak since it build up pressure, look up the TSB I posted above.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
The Vent tube plugs up and that is what causes it to leak since it build up pressure, look up the TSB I posted above.
wasn't my case at all. the pinion seal just went bad and i was leaking exactly like his. had nothing to do with my vent tube.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
wasn't my case at all. the pinion seal just went bad and i was leaking exactly like his. had nothing to do with my vent tube.

They told me when the replaced mine that wasn't the problem either, they also did not change the vent (reason I brought it up about the TSB, that way it doesn't turn around and do it again). I bought the updated part myself and installed it and when it was in for something else the seal was leaking again so it was changed twice. They filled my car up since I had already fixed the vent. And yes mine was plugged up when it came off :hide:

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
Same here. Started leaking within the first 10k miles. Stealership blamed it on a fluid overfill condition, so did me the courtesy of draining out excess fluid...

...a few months later one of the bearings blew up from--wait for it--lack of sufficient fluid. They then proceeded to do a hack job replacing the gears (that got ruined from the lack of lubrication) as they could not set them up properly.

Wound up having an independent shop put in a third set of gears/bearings/seals and it's been good since. Who'd a thunk it?

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
The sad part is, you fill the gear lube until it flows out of the fill hole. You can't overfill our rear ends :(

·
Registered
727 Posts
They told me when the replaced mine that wasn't the problem either, they also did not change the vent (reason I brought it up about the TSB, that way it doesn't turn around and do it again). I bought the updated part myself and installed it and when it was in for something else the seal was leaking again so it was changed twice. They filled my car up since I had already fixed the vent. And yes mine was plugged up when it came off :hide:
That's why after mine plugged and popped the pinion seal I just took the stock vent, popped the top off, removed the rubber then put the spring and cap back on so it is always venting. Then I put it in the finned diff cover and plugged the axle hole so it would be more protected.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts