Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I‘m planning to upgrade my rear LCA/UCA in the near future. My specs are in my signature and even more prominently in my Showcase. This question is directed at 5LHO mostly, because he has used both of my primary candidates for the UCA.

However, comments from all, are welcome.

I originally wanted to get the Roush UCA (wheel-hop kit), but this part has been discontinued for the 2011-2014 Mustangs. The part for the earlier Mustangs is still for sale, and I’m told that it CAN be installed on my 2014, but the bracket is much smaller, as are the bolts. So some minor adjustments must be made to install this one. I’m not comfortable with smaller, so I continued to shop.

Next, I find that Steeda has an adjustable UCA/Bracket/Bushing kit that claims no noise increase (which I doubt), but, since it makes that claim, I would expect only a slight increase in noise. I’m leaning towards this kit, since it has a really beefy bracket, and requires no special adaptations like the older Roush Wheel-Hop kit.

BTW, I have decided I will be going with the Billet Lower’s from Roush.

Share your wisdom please …

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was hoping someone might have experience with one of these setups, and offer up an opinion.

·
Tech Expert
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort
3,058 Posts
The Roush and Steeda stuff have both been used by me. The Roush was much more street friendly and contributed nicely to a 1.6 60' on a 3.73 MT82 car. I used the poly Steeda adjustable for a good while. It was effective enough but, tended to introduce a little clunk to the driveline but no whining or other noises. My current car is an auto so, that was a little annoying. I took it off last year and put the stocker back in with filled gaps and that's been fine, of course.

Reactions: crjackson

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks … Steeda is out then, as this is indeed my DD and I don’t need the extra clunks. Sadly, Roush has discontinued the UCA for the 11-14 year model. I guess I’ll keep searching for NOS on someone’s shelf.

Appreciate the response.

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If anyone else happens to read this post, and has better search skills than I do, the part I can’t seem to find anywhere is …

Roush Wheel Hop Reduction Kit PN# 421120

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It was effective enough but, tended to introduce a little clunk to the driveline
Did you also install the matching Steeda bracket? I’ve heard that clunking happens when NOT installing the bracket. I’ve googled for days trying to find the Roush UCA.

·
Tech Expert
3,058 Posts
Did you also install the matching Steeda bracket? I’ve heard that clunking happens when NOT installing the bracket. I’ve googled for days trying to find the Roush UCA.
No, the clunking happens at the bracket when people don't use the spacers included or install the arm for the 05-10 models. I used the factory bracket and the required spacers. I think the source of the driveline lash is actually the centre bearing in the driveshaft...because I blew a 100 shot of nitrous through that on slicks a bunch of times....right off idle. The arm just transmitted that clunk better than the rubber bushing did. I think if the driveline was tighter, it might not have made the noise. After I pulled it, I filled the voids in the factory bushing with steel bar stock I cold forged into shape and that'll do.

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the source of the driveline lash is actually the centre bearing in the driveshaft
I’m going to wait until the beginning of next year for my next round of mods, If I can’t find the Roush UCA, I guess I can give Steeda a chance and see what happens (In light of your driveshaft hypothesis). Replacing the driveshaft for a 1-Piece was on my short list too. I just don’t want to end up with a clunky harsh ride, as I take long trips in this car. I just wanted to tighten-up a little since going with Force Induction. Since I already decided on going with the Roush LCA’s, it would be nice if I could round it out with their UCA as well. It really annoying that they had such a good part, but discontinued it so quickly. Yet they still make the UCA for years prior to the 11-14 group. So odd they would selectively discontinue that one part.

·
Tech Expert
3,058 Posts
You would not notice this on long trips. It was only evident in stop-go, on-off transitions. I too have taken the 14 on long trips....I call mine Gunny Highway, because it's gunmetal grey and the best road trip car ever :)

• Haha

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That’s good to hear. It’s a great road-trip car as is, and I don’t want to mess that up. I don’t particularly want clunking in stop / go driving either but it may not be avoidable if I replace the UCA with a non-Roush kit. From what I’ve found so far, aside from Roush, the Steeda seems to be the least offensive regarding unwanted noises.

·
Tech Expert
3,058 Posts
Agreed.....

·
Administrator
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
On my 2011 I used Roush billet LCA's, Team Z Motorsports UCA.
On the 14 I used BMR UCA & LCA's.
Any observations regarding increased NVH? That Team Z part looks sturdy but noisy.

I’m definitely going with Roush for the LCA’s, and if I could find it, I’d go with Roush UCA Part# 421120. So far, I’m leaning towards Steeda, but that’s subject to change. I’m looking at all options. Had I known Roush would discontinue the desired part, I would have bought one a long time ago.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts