Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
My wife and I are in the market for a car. We have decided not to buy any "Big Three" products. We do not feel we should reward them for getting billions for doing nothing. Is this the wrong attitude? Can anyone tell me a good reason to buy any of these?

·
Registered
192 Posts
My wife and I are in the market for a car. We have decided not to buy any "Big Three" products. We do not feel we should reward them for getting billions for doing nothing. Is this the wrong attitude? Can anyone tell me a good reason to buy any of these?
Of course you purchase from Ford, the only one that did not get a bailout from the Government. The tax payers lost 10 billion when the government sold its GM stock and GM has never made up for that.

·
Registered
502 Posts

GM is the only domestic car manufacturer that was bailed out by tax dollars. Ford needed a loan and has since repaid it. Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep are owned by Fiat.

Politics aside, if you are really asking for guidance I would recommend looking at vehicles that will best fit you and your wife's needs. Since you posted these questions on Mustang blog are you secretly looking for a good excuse to buy a new Mustang?

·
Registered
192 Posts
When Chrysler filed for bankruptcy on April 30, 2009, the "new Chrysler" that emerged assumed only some of the $4 billion loaned by the Bush administration. In a new report issued last month, the GAO explained that Treasury — under the Obama administration — "wrote off $1.6 billion" of the "original $4 billion loan extended to the old Chrysler."
In its May 24 announcement touting Chrysler's final repayment, Treasury acknowledged that it is "unlikely to fully recover" about $1.9 billion. 2009, the same month GM filed for bankruptcy. Ford needs the full amount of 5.9 billion to be paid off by June 15, 2022.
The Obama Administration, dreaming of a million electric cars on the road by 2015, loaned Ford the money to help it pay for development of hybrids and EVs, and to retool its factories to produce smaller, cleaner vehicles.

·
Registered
192 Posts
What is not true? They got a loan for 5.9 billion for make more electric and fuel efficient cars. They did not get bailout money, they did not go bankrupt, they did not have their stock taken over.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
The money they received did come from the US Bailout fund...5.8 billion of US tax payers money for retooling...I consider that a form of bailout. So, why did Ford take the money...they wanted to hold on to their own resources in case things got really bad?, and you don't call that a handout/bailout then I'm wrong. They were also poised to take more from the bailout fund if things got worse.
I bought Ford and GM stock at their low points and GM is the only stock that's worth anything...why????

·
Registered
192 Posts
It was still a loan, just like if you wanted to buy a car or house. They were not going to go under if they didn't get the money like GM. People who owned the old GM stock got 9 cents per share and were wiped out. Was that fair for all those who owned the stock? If you held Ford or bought it when i did at $1.05, held it to $13.00 and sold, we made out much better that people who bought the new GM stock.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Buying stock and playing the market is a total risk, just like drag racing or sports car racing...you can get killer racing or you can loose all your money in the market, no difference. Getting a money from the US government which is actually the US Tax Payers money is whatever you wish to call it.
Today Ford stock is hovering around $11...GM's is around $34.
The guy that started this thread hasn't responded and I'll end by saying that what happened yesterday is tomorrows news...life goes on and choose your path with todays facts not yesterdays news...IMHO

·
Registered
544 Posts
Lol this thread is great...the OP never even responded back and now we have a full on war about GM's and Fords. All are great companies with all having their pros and cons. Like some have said see what the wife needs and go from there.

·
Super Moderator
17,947 Posts
Ford was bailed out too... it was taxpayer money that just came from a different pot don't be fooled into thinking Ford didn't take the bailout. Look I like Fords a lot but I've ridden in some pretty "basic" Chevys that co-workers got for commuter cars and they are pretty legit.

Get whatever vehicle is best for you at the time. Test drive, test drive, test drive. Weigh differnt offers, warranties, options etc... Also something to be said for a really really good dealer vs a slightly better deal at some shady dealership.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts