Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am rebuilding my 302. The motor was not blown or messed up. I'm goin to fresh in it up and put new intake, heads and cam. Do I need to have the block machined ? Or can I just rering , gaskets.. etc . then reassemble ?

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
If you are putting new heads on and have the extra funds I would at least recommend having the block checked and possibly milled to ensure the new heads have the best possible mounting surface

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok , I'll check into that. I'm doing a pretty mild build , I am attempting it myself. It's kind of always something I've wanted to do and learn. Thanks for the input

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to replace everything I can and just take my time with it. Should I hone the cylinder walls ? Or just leave them be if they look ok ?

·
Registered
493 Posts
Just my opinion, but I say hone em! Anything to save headaches down the road.

---------- Post added at 02:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:15 PM ----------

Just my opinion, but I say hone em! Anything to save headaches down the road.
No need to send to a machine shop to do this. Buy a speed hone, slap it on the end of a drill, and put you some nice cross-hatching in it.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I should add: you will need some type of bore gage to make sure you don't peel off too much metal if you plan on doin it yourself:good:

·
Registered
208 Posts
It should only take 3-5 strokes in the cylinder walls with the hone
It needs to be done so the new rings will seat properly. Honing is just for getting the glaze off the walls. Nothing complicated! Good luck!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thanks! I bought another 302 block cheap.. So I have a back up if I screw up too bad on the rebuild
As long as there are no bad scars/gouges or things of that sort u should be good to go with the hone. Just 3-5 strokes is all. With that u should be fine: good

1 - 11 of 11 Posts