Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I posted a thread about buying a cobra a while back, but I thought of all the blood,sweat, and curse words I have put into m 94' GT. so I am rebuilding it. I bought a 1994 Bronco as my daily driver, so the stang is now my money pit. I am going through the motor, and I want opinions... What parts do you guys think are good for each of these, Cam, intake manifold,heads, rollers, and any other suggestions. I am only 17 so I am trying to keep it affordable, but I don't want to cut corners. I also want to get some opinions on what clutch I should get, I am running 3.73 gears in the rear, but I want more acceleration, I don't want to swap gears and lose too much has mileage, so is there a way to gain acceleration through more power? If you can, let me know.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I would start by setting realistic/specific goals that consider your budget, time, and skills. Once you establish these we should be able to help you more

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
+1 just for top end kits used to new you can spend $1,000-$3,000 just for parts.

Are you keeping your block or boring / stroking it?

It all comes down to how much you want to spend!

(Just a FYI I rebuilt my car from motor / trans / fuel system and I'm around $14,000 for parts)

·
Registered
493 Posts
I plan on doing a top end kit and a bottom end freshen up after the first of the year, and I budgeted about 4k. The top end kit I want is $2,800 alone.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts

·
Banned
776 Posts
Also, keep in mind that no matter how much you budget it's going to cost more. Just be realistic with your guesstimates:)

·
Banned
422 Posts
I may be wrong but i think i heard the latemodelrestoration short blocks are no good. They bore them pretty far and they are sleeved.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
foxbox said:
I would start by setting realistic/specific goals that consider your budget, time, and skills. Once you establish these we should be able to help you more
I have realistic goals. As far as specifics go, that's why I want opinions. I have full bolt ons minus a throttle body and I want opinions on what you more experienced mustang guys think I should do. This is my first mustang, so I want ideas from people who have learned from trial and error. I listed specific parts I am 100% sure I am going to replace. I don't see what else you are wanting me to say? If anything YOU can ask me specific questions that you have an opinion on. I am not planning on switching my induction, and I don't know what I want to do about stroking it. That's why I am asking. I would like to keep the block if I can. But if anything, I would just buy an already assembled motor for cheaper than paying to replace everything. Sorry if I am sounding like an *******. I asked for opinions. And I don't know where I want to go with it yet. That's the reason for me posting this thread.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

foxbox said:
And I bought a daily driver so that I wouldn't be pressed for time. So that isn't a problem. And as far as skills go, I am capable of just about everything I want to do, and if I can't, I am surrounded by guys who can.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
WhiteCobra94 said:
If I am not having problems with my block, wouldn't it be cheaper to just strip it down and rebuild it, over buying a block that has been refurbished? And could you enlighten me on what a top end kit is? I have a general idea, but I could use some more facts.

·
Banned
776 Posts
For the clutch a Centerforce Dual Friction is awesome(zero slip). It's a little noisy though.

For acceleration, you need torque. Buy a bolt on Paxton or Vortech 6psi supercharger kit and call it a day.

Otherwise you will be like me and put $19,000 in to a car worth $9,000. If you don't have much money then keep it simple. That's the best advice I can give. If you'd like a parts list I'm sure we could accommodate but it will be expensive.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
JayKranz said:
For the clutch a Centerforce Dual Friction is awesome(zero slip). It's a little noisy though.

For acceleration, you need torque. Buy a bolt on Paxton or Vortech 6psi supercharger kit and call it a day.

Otherwise you will be like me and put $19,000 in to a car worth $9,000. If you don't have much money then keep it simple. That's the best advice I can give. If you'd like a parts list I'm sure we could accommodate but it will be expensive.
Superchargers for the 5.0 are pretty cheap. Do you think that would be the best route? I though about Doing that, but I know for sure I want a new cam. I am probably going to use an E303 because the stock cam in the 302 is actually pretty good. But an E303 would help I think.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
WhiteCobra94 said:
+1 just for top end kits used to new you can spend $1,000-$3,000 just for parts.

Are you keeping your block or boring / stroking it?

It all comes down to how much you want to spend!

(Just a FYI I rebuilt my car from motor / trans / fuel system and I'm around $14,000 for parts)
How much was it just for the engine?

·
Banned
776 Posts
IIAMSTARK said:
Superchargers for the 5.0 are pretty cheap. Do you think that would be the best route? I though about Doing that, but I know for sure I want a new cam. I am probably going to use an E303 because the stock cam in the 302 is actually pretty good. But an E303 would help I think.
If you have stock heads and intake then don't bother changing you cam. You car would be very fun to drive and still "reliable" with the addition of a low boost supercharger.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
IIAMSTARK said:
If I am not having problems with my block, wouldn't it be cheaper to just strip it down and rebuild it, over buying a block that has been refurbished? And could you enlighten me on what a top end kit is? I have a general idea, but I could use some more facts.
Top end kit is Heads, Cam, Intake manifold, lifters and rocker arms

·
Registered
269 Posts
IIAMSTARK said:
I have realistic goals. As far as specifics go, that's why I want opinions. I have full bolt ons minus a throttle body and I want opinions on what you more experienced mustang guys think I should do. This is my first mustang, so I want ideas from people who have learned from trial and error. I listed specific parts I am 100% sure I am going to replace. I don't see what else you are wanting me to say? If anything YOU can ask me specific questions that you have an opinion on. I am not planning on switching my induction, and I don't know what I want to do about stroking it. That's why I am asking. I would like to keep the block if I can. But if anything, I would just buy an already assembled motor for cheaper than paying to replace everything. Sorry if I am sounding like an *******. I asked for opinions. And I don't know where I want to go with it yet. That's the reason for me posting this thread.

---------- Post added at 04:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:29 PM ----------

And I bought a daily driver so that I wouldn't be pressed for time. So that isn't a problem. And as far as skills go, I am capable of just about everything I want to do, and if I can't, I am surrounded by guys who can.
yeah...good luck with your project

·
Registered
493 Posts
Not trying to invade your thread. Just trying to do what everyone else here is: Learn Something! This is not an "I know more than you" kinda place. This is a place for people with one common goal, to make a BADASS Mustang, can combine ideas. Sorry for any hurt feelings...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts