Mustang Evolution Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I recently took a "break" from working on the Fox Body to install GT500 axle backs on my 2014 GT. I had the Roush axle backs for almost six years and then was rockin' the stock mufflers the last few months while trying to sell the Roush. Well, I finally sold the Roush and picked up the GT500s. They have a nice sound and give me enough rumble to not fall asleep while driving, like the stockers, but aren't so loud and droning that I can't hear myself think. :)

Anyways, I made a video documenting the recent mistakes/foolish assumptions I made, while I patiently wait for the correct brake lines to arrive.

I am also still waiting for my Koni shocks to arrive. In the meanwhile, I am searching for (and saving for) a second set of wheels and tires in the hopes that I can get to at least one track day or autocross event before winter time.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My latest attempt on the brakes didn't go the way I'd like, so naturally I documented my latest round of mishaps and failures.

I went ahead and ordered the Motive power bleeder, which arrived this week. Going to visit family for a few days so I’m planning to get back to the fox and get this brake issue fixed early next week.
IMG-3162.jpg

These arrived this week too and fingers crossed that the Koni parts arrive soon. It would be nice to get the brakes sorted, install all new shocks and struts and drive the car some.
IMG-3179.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Finally managed to finish up the brake master cylinder saga after multiple setbacks...latest video/explanations are here:

Looking forward to driving the car again for a week or two and then getting started on suspension upgrades.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Finally took some time to start working on the suspension this past weekend. Finished up installing the struts but still need to make time to do the rear shocks and quad shocks.

Weirdest/most time consuming part about the strut install was definitely repurposing the dust boot upper retainers.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Suspension upgrades continue....this past weekend I finished up the sway bar end links on the front and installed Koni rear shocks and Gabriel (OEM-ish) quad shocks. Love the improved feel. Car would definitely benefit from some new wheels and tires though. Hopefully coming in the not too distant future.

IMG-4162.jpg

Rear before:
IMG-4178.jpg

Rear after:
IMG-4204 (1).jpg

Latest video documenting the process with some other updates

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Latest update on the Fox Body....I recently installed a Cervini's Ram-Air kit to go with the Cervini's Ram-Air hood (that was on the car when I bought it). It was a bit of a messy process and in retrospect, there are things I could have done smarter/differently, but it seems to be functioning as intended.

I made a somewhat detailed video of the installation process, since I hadn't found a tutorial/instructional video on this.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Some recent updates - I discovered a small fuel leak the last time I filled up the tank on the Fox Body. I recently dropped the tank and checked the fuel pump, replaced a few parts (filler neck grommet, vapor valve seal, filler pipe to trunk floor seal, filler neck to housing gasket, new tank pads).

Here's how the tank looked when I dropped it:
IMG-5792.jpg

And after a little bit of cleaning and removal of the old pads:
IMG-5908.jpg

I didn't get a pic of it with the new pads and a bit more cleaning. While I had the fuel tank out, I went ahead and flushed the differential fluid. I read from multiple accounts how bad the diff fluid smells but I was still pretty surprised. That stuff is nasty.
IMG-5927.jpg

I documented these processes in my latest video:

And a little preview of some upcoming mods/installs:
IMG-5986.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Latest video is up, documenting the installation of the OEM-style upper control arms and getting the fuel tank re-installed.

IMG-6040.jpg IMG-6041.jpg IMG-6096.jpg

My latest install, over this past weekend, was the lower control arms...which took a lot longer than I originally anticipated. Video on that coming soon.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I just finished editing and uploading my video on the lower control arm installation process, which took me the better part of last weekend. My facial expression in the thumbnail photo reflects my naive optimism prior to the installation process.

I've now replaced front lower control arms on my 2014 Mustang, rear LCA relocation brackets on the 2014, rear lower control arms on the Fox, and upper control arms on the Fox. The rear LCAs on the Fox were definitely the worst installation to date. If I ever have to replace the front control arms, I seriously might consider paying someone else to do it, lol.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Picked up a set of cheap wheels for the Fox over the weekend. 16x8 Pony wheels. Not my first choice but I do prefer a factory-ish look and the deal was too good to pass up. $80 for all four wheels. At first I thought they needed a bit more work but upon closer investigation, they are in pretty good shape aside from the center caps. One wheel has a little bit of curb rash but other than that and the caps, they are fine.
IMG-6657.jpg IMG-6661.jpg

The guy I bought them from was pretty cool and also an owner of his first Fox that he had purchased this year. His black 93 (I think) GT was in excellent shape.
IMG-6658.jpg

We talked for a bit before he had to take off. He told me the Fox was his daily driver and he had even taken it camping recently. As someone who took my own 2014 GT camping recently, I appreciated that Mustang utilization.
IMG-53172.jpg

I picked up some tape, primer, and paint to see if I can get the center caps sorted. Worst case, I'll just order a new set of caps for all four wheels.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Over the weekend, a buddy of mine came to visit and we replaced the power steering pump on the Fox. Plenty of idiocy ensued during the process but I’m happy to be done with that.

I wish I would have learned about hose removal tools before working on this, lol.

While working on the power steering, we found a small leak on the lower radiator hose. Seems like it might be good to replace a few more of the hoses while I’m at it.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My early Christmas present to myself arrived yesterday. Ordered the SVE short throw shifter. I picked this one over the Steeda because it had better reviews and was slightly cheaper. Plus, I already have the Steeda shifter handle so I figure I can at least try both that one and the handle that came with the SVE, rather than having two Steeda shifter handles. Will probably try to get this installed over the weekend.
IMG-7162.jpg
Will likely try to do the radiator hoses soon too, since those arrived a couple of days ago:
IMG-7168.jpg
Uploaded a new video this morning, brainstorming what to do next and in what order, and asking for inputs from the Fox Mustang folks with more experience/expertise than me.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Started working on getting the SVE short throw shifter installed. Naturally I found a way to make the process for removing the center console as time-consuming as possible. Just waiting for the lower shift boot to arrive so I can get this finished up and test out the different shifter handles.

IMG-1317.jpg IMG-7581.jpg IMG-7591.jpg

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I documented this in the latest video, which I'm currently finishing uploading but I did a little comparison with each of my three available shifter handles.

OEM, Steeda Tri-Ax, and SVE
IMG-7784.jpg IMG-7783.jpg IMG-7780.jpg

Side by side
2C650108-D78D-47C9-BE91-98AD8009D81D.jpeg

21 - 36 of 36 Posts