Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are finishing the restoration. On the trunk to the right of the Mach 1 decal, there are three holes in the back panel drilled and I think we need a metal name Mustang (sort of written) to go there. Can't find it in any pics, does anybody know? Also would like to know how to tell which cleveland engine is in it. There must be a tag or plate somewhere under the hood with these specs. Any info would be helpful. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
41 Posts
hmmmm, well I have a 72 Mach 1 as well and this is what the back of mine looks like.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c192/stangace20/mach%201/IMG_0957-1.jpg

I don't remember ever seeing holes for one during the restoration either, so it may have had a metal "mustang" name logo on the back like you said if it was not an original mach, or if it was a replacement trunk.

I know w/ ours one of the fender panels had been replaced and did have the 3 holes for the mustang name logo of a regular 71-3 mustang (though w/ ours we filled them in)

Really,the best way to figure out what you've actually got is to check the VIN on the dash, and the data tag on the drivers side door. The VIN will tell you the general info
(year,plant built, type,engine,etc)

And the data tag will give you info more specific to the car itself
(exterior/trim colors,trans,axle,original dealer location)

Basically for a 72 mach, the VIN should start w/ a 2 for 1972, then either an F,R, or T for the plant it was built at, (for example mine has an F for the dearborne plant) and then have an "05" to tell you it's a legit Mach 1. Otherwise you will probably see an 02 if it's just a fastback/sportroof.

Also the engine code will be a LETTER....for the 351's it will either be a Q,R, or H. For an example,mine is an H because it was originally the 2 Barrel Carb 351C (though we upgraded it to a 4 barrel) if you see an F or L it was not originally a 351

·
Registered
10 Posts
As far as the "Cleveland" engine goes, there was, and is only one.......... 351 cubic inch. Try this link for those three holes. It may have been a dealers name plate. try this; hemmingsmotornews.com there are 3 of them listed, right now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts