Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm getting my car painted for my birthday, but the only question is, do i stick with laser red or go black? i live in florida, so black will be tough work, but i'm willing to put in the work to make it look clean. if i go red, i'll put a black hood decal, black rocker panel stripes, and black mustang lettering decal on the car. i'd br trying to go for a mach 1 look. on the other hand, if i go black, i'll put red le mans stripes, red rocker panel stripes, and red mustang lettering on it. those would strictly be body color differences, i've got other ideas depending on what color i choose. gimme your guys' thoughts and opinions. what do you think?

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
changing a color is FAR harder than repainting, I highly recommend you do not change the color of the car as to get it right is VERY expensive... also black is a horrible daily driver color as you can not keep it clean no matter what

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it's a 1999 V6, and either way i'm probably going to get it painted at maaco. they're looking to charge about 500 dollars to sand off the original paint, buff any worn out spots, which on my car there's only one that needs attention, and then repaint it with a few high gloss coats and then a clearcoat. it's about the best deal i can find where i live, because the next cheapest place is about 700 dollars and doesn't offer as much.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
originally i was planning on sticking with red because it's about the only red new edge where i live (although on a typical drive through my town you see, on average, about 15-20 mustangs), but i watched death race yesterday and that got me thinking that you see even less black new edges, especially one with red on it. but, why would changing colors be a lot harder than getting the same color?

·
Registered
648 Posts
I've never dealt with maaco, but your getting ready to receive a hail storm of anti-maaco. It is more time and work because to make it look right you have to jam the doors and engine bay. This means more disassembling and more time and $.

·
Registered
260 Posts
i honesty love black and when its clean and waxed and freshly washed its like the best color and its wicked mean looking, but once it starts to get dirty and even a little bit of dirt will make it look horrible. red is nice becasue you can do the black lettering and stuff so it just depends how much work you want to put in it to clean it. but thats my oppinion, either way it will look good, its just if you are tired of red then get black but if you like the look of it now get red

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
i wash my car, or at least try to every weekend, and it never goes unwashed for more than a month plus or minus a few days. i love washing, cleaning, waxing, or doing anything to make my car look nice, so upkeep on a black mustang wouldn't be as big a problem. i'm starting to lean towards black more now that i think of it, but another question arises. being new to cars, and even newer to painting cars, what are the do's, don't's, and tips and tricks when looking for a place to paint your car? i've already done research about places to paint, and maaco is about the only one, and on maaco.com and looked at their services. i'm going to go next week to the shop and talk with them about the painting, i'll let you guys know how that goes. and another big question (sorry guys i've got a lot i know), would painting the car include the plastic inserts in the side scoops and hood scoop?

·
Registered
390 Posts
Definitely research some other shops locally besides maaco. Do your homework. You may be living with it for years so your cost per day of driving is small even if you pay more at better shop! I have red mustang and black maxima and as long as you stay on top of it both colors are great. Black looks so amazing when its fresh and clean! Good luck!

·
Registered
638 Posts
My car I really wanted black at the time red was all the dealership had and I was yo impatient to wait got red have all flat black accents and it looks pretty good you can tell blacks a pain because even just my stripes get way dirty way faster then the red. Go with red because of the extra cash it will take for black. Plus red and black is a pretty awesome color mix. Black makes for a great accent color.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i decided i'm going with red. i went to maaco today to get a quote, and i got the sweetest deal, a summer blowout special: supreme paintjob, value prep, and integrated clearcoat, normally priced for $800, for only $500. i'm gonna be taking my car back there sometime this week, i'll make sure i get before and after pictures. thanks for all the help you guys, and juat so everyone knows, thus far maaco's given me great service, and even talked me out of pointless extra products, so i know that they're not only about getting my money, which is awesome.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts