Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My carefully maintained 32-34 psi tire pressure for when the weather was hot this summer was down to 26-27 on all four corners. Our temps here are low 30's at night and barely 40 during the day now.
Keep in mind for those of us where the weather is now significantly colder -- get those tires pumped back up to the recommended psi, guys!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
My carefully maintained tire 32-34 psi tire pressure for when the weather was hot this summer was down to 26-27 on all four corners. Our temps here are mid 30's at night and barely 40 during the day now.

Keep in mind for those of us where the weather is now significantly colder -- get those tires pumped back up to the recommended psi, guys!

+11

Sent from the One and Only ME!..?

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
A simple burnout will get the back tires back up to proper psi ?

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Excellent point about tire pressure Guard 5.0....I check mine on the weekends when the cars get their bath. The huge truck I drive (2500HD) tires hold 55 to 65 pounds, depending on what I'm towing or not.

It annoys me to see cars with families/kids driving around with low air in the tires. One thing to put themselves at risk, but it also puts those that share the road with them at risk too. Most tire shops will check and fill them for free. Folks can't take a lousy 5 minutes from their schedule to do this?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Yup, either blindly rolling down the highway at breakneck speeds on a 1/2 flat tire, or going 90 mph with one of those temp spares. Blows my mind how stupid MOST people are when it come to maintaining their cars, either that or too lazy to care. If your paying for it why not take care of it? If you cant afford another tire now, at least do the speed limit with that TINY wheel. Even without the giant warnings molded into the tire you installed, something else should tell you that tiny tire is not good for 80 mph........

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
Yup, either blindly rolling down the highway at breakneck speeds on a 1/2 flat tire, or going 90 mph with one of those temp spares. Blows my mind how stupid MOST people are when it come to maintaining their cars, either that or too lazy to care. If your paying for it why not take care of it? If you cant afford another tire now, at least do the speed limit with that TINY wheel. Even without the giant warnings molded into the tire you installed, something else should tell you that tiny tire is not good for 80 mph........
And not to get too far off the topic...these people breed more stupid people.

Thanks Guard 5.0 for the reminder to check tire pressure...a good point to make.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent point about tire pressure Guard 5.0....I check mine on the weekends when the cars get their bath. The huge truck I drive (2500HD) tires hold 55 to 65 pounds, depending on what I'm towing or not.

It annoys me to see cars with families/kids driving around with low air in the tires. One thing to put themselves at risk, but it also puts those that share the road with them at risk too. Most tire shops will check and fill them for free. Folks can't take a lousy 5 minutes from their schedule to do this?
Takes me longer than 5 minutes -- but I also don't have to even move the cars out of the garage. My lovely wife bought me a compressor for Christmas many years ago, and it has been a blessing -- and well put to use.
And as long as I have your attention --- Tire gauges are notoriously inaccurate -- spend a little more and get a good one where you can rely on the readings.......

·
Registered
810 Posts
Guard 5.0, just FYI, all my tyres were 5lbs under what I normally run [ 35psi ] with the colder weather here now. Thanks again for the reminder.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
And not to get too far off the topic...these people breed more stupid people.

Thanks Guard 5.0 for the reminder to check tire pressure...a good point to make.
Not to hijack this thread...just some trivia.
Just thought I would interject a little trivia from back in the late 90's about temporary and convenience spares. Most cars carry temporary spares and the speed is limited to whatever Ford/Chevy/Chrysler puts on their sticker although most are really rated for up to and exceeding 75mph. The spares I used to run on the front of my 97 Cobra when drag racing were rated for 81mph, 17" rim, 26" tall and wheel and tire weighed less than 20lbs...not to say you can go out and carve corners at breakneck speeds...just saying they are safe for going faster than the sticker on the wheel claims...called safety margin...IMHO

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have a good digital tire gauge. I've noticed my car tire monitors are 4lbs higher. Is this normal?
Did you measure it after driving? They warm up and the pressure will increase after driving. Best to measure them cold for street driving.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did you measure it after driving? They warm up and the pressure will increase after driving. Best to measure them cold for street driving.
That's what I was thinking as well. On a really hot day at highway speeds, tires can gain as much as 6+ psi.
That's why all the psi recommendations from the manufacturers say "cold" for the measurement and initial inflation.

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guard 5.0, just FYI, all my tyres were 5lbs under what I normally run [ 35psi ] with the colder weather here now. Thanks again for the reminder.
I was a week or two late here as well -- and you're welcome! Car seems to drive a little better when the tires are up to the right psi, you know? The steering is just "that much" sharper.

·
Registered
582 Posts
That's what I was thinking as well. On a really hot day at highway speeds, tires can gain as much as 6+ psi.
That's why all the psi recommendations from the manufacturers say "cold" for the measurement and initial inflation.
The only time you should be making "hot" adjustments is if you're autocrossing or road coursing the car. For just about any other time you should be setting them cold

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
Scurfie,

I have several gauges....check same tire with all of them and you "should" be able to figure out which one is correct. If all 4 tires are reading 4-5psi higher than your "good digital gauge" the gauge may be off. but idk how Ford process the signal from the tpms it may be in that converter. Borrow a gauge from your neighbor to do a comparo

·
Registered
504 Posts
I always check tires cold in my garage. I start my car and check the tire pressure via the monitors BEFORE driving and they all are 4lbs higher. Not a big deal just wondering if the sensors need to "warm up" too. Or it's my car...Ha ha!
:banghead:

·
Registered
810 Posts
Crisper

I was a week or two late here as well -- and you're welcome! Car seems to drive a little better when the tires are up to the right psi, you know? The steering is just "that much" sharper.
Took my wife to get her shot in her hip, and the drive in to town was very noticeably crisper in steering department. 120 mile round trip. Weird how if you don't stay on top of minor things like this it just kinda slips away. :facepalm:

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Took my wife to get her shot in her hip, and the drive in to town was very noticeably crisper in steering department. 120 mile round trip. Weird how if you don't stay on top of minor things like this it just kinda slips away. :facepalm:

During the winter I'll check my tires every couple of days, all because of this!.. lol. Wife gets Pissed at me for it!.. lol ?

Sent from the One and Only ME!..?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts