Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i purchased my car it had a nos set up and still does. Currently its bama tuned, off road x, and jlt cai. The car is running consistently 20% rich and i was told that removing the nos system would fix this by a bama rep. I dont really understand how that would fix anything since its not actually active. How do you go about removing the system? Do you just begin un bolting and following the lines? I have no idea since i didnt install it. Thanks

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Wow, that guy is an idiot.

1. How do you know the car is running 20% rich? Do you have datalogs and do you understand what you are looking at, or did someone tell you?

2. To me, it sounds like it is the tune, just removing the system will in no way change your AFR. I would suggest finding a better tuner.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, that guy is an idiot.

1. How do you know the car is running 20% rich? Do you have datalogs and do you understand what you are looking at, or did someone tell you?

2. To me, it sounds like it is the tune, just removing the system will in no way change your AFR. I would suggest finding a better tuner.

I have data logs that were sent into bama and looked at. They said it couldnt be fixed with a tune... which makes absolutely no since to me because i have no idea what else would be making it run this rich. Smelld lik gas all the time even tho my mpg hasnt hardly dropped at all. I havent been impressed with bama at all.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Lol... can you do me a favor and post those datalogs? I'll highlight and post up here for everyone to see. I disagree with their input, but i'll wait till we have the logs.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lol... can you do me a favor and post those datalogs? I'll highlight and post up here for everyone to see. I disagree with their input, but i'll wait till we have the logs.
I'm having issues with the diablo data viewer and uploading them onto here.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Unfortunately that is not very helpful. Is there any way to export that to Excel? I am not familiar with the diablo.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Removing your nitrous system from the car will not change anything. The car's widebands sensor measure your lambda while driving around and will use STFT and LTFT to make sure you are achieving your commanded lambda.

What this means is the car will not run rich, your fuels trims could be negative, which means fuel was taken out in order to achieve desired lambda, but the car would still be running stoich.

Now there is the possibility that the fuel solenoid could be leaking fuel past the solenoid valve, if this was to occur you would have extra fuel entering the system. This still would not cause the car to run rich as your fuel trims would adjust for this added fuel by pulling fuel from the injectors in order to achieve your desired lambda.

I would find another tuner...make sure your MAF is calibrated, especially at idle. I tuned a JLT intake not long ago and it took a few revisions to get the idle dialed in(mostly bc the MAF slot was not perfect and I believe it leaks).

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
Are you running a nitrous tune as your daily driving tune?
You should be able to, the AFR can be adjusted properly assuming a window switch is being used - and the whole point of a wet kit is to not need to adjust the AFR. He'd be running less timing, but it shouldnt affect the current issue.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Are you running a nitrous tune as your daily driving tune?
I DD mine on my nitrous tune. Like Voltwings posted, there is no issues other than running less than optimal timing for NA when off the spray.

My MAF curve is dialed in within +/-2% off the bottle and even when spraying it only ever does +5%, which is acceptable IMO.

To the OP, we still need to know how you know you are running "rich", a 14.08 idle is normal since pumps now use up to 10% ethanol. That idle a/f does not mean it's running rich, only that stoich for e10 is a lower value than stoich for e-zero.

·
Registered
3,710 Posts
So OP sent me some datalogs and i have been poking through them just very quickly, starting with his "step test" log. For those that arent familiar, the computer will learn trims over a series of "break points" based on MAF flow. Basically this gives you several regions to dial your MAF sensor in from low to high amounts of airflow.

His tune is commanding give or take 1.0 lambda for the entire log, but his trims are in fact anywhere from 17-25% negative, which does indicate it is running rich and the computer is pulling fuel. Now, just because the computer is targeting the correct lambda, and the computer is pulling fuel, it does not mean the MAF cal is in fact good. All we have indicated here is that the car is in fact running rich and having to make corrections, the "why" is still yet to be determined.

In the WOT log he sent - which doesnt appear to have any WOT data by the way, it only goes up to like 1500 rpms haha... at any rate, THAT log the trims are only off give or take 5%. If the MAF cal were in fact off, the trims should realistically stay the same, since the commanded fuel would always be too much and would need to be corrected for...

Without running the logs myself or writing the tune, it is hard to say what's going on. However, two vastly different logs with regards to trims makes someone's earlier suggestion that the fuel solenoid might be leaking seem like a reasonable conclusion.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
It's straightforward enough to pull the nut off the top of the tower, remove the solenoid magnet, double nut the tower and undo it and carefully take it off to determine if there is anything stuck in there (which is about the only way a nitrous solenoid leaks). I say carefully because the little shuttle inside the tower and the little spring could fall into the engine bay if you aren't careful.

You could also just pull the intake tube and feel around inside the throttle body for any wetness that would indicate a fuel leak.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts