Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is It okay to remove my tires from my car to clean the insides? And pop them back on with no issues?

Like do I need to balance after? And is that something I would be able to do?

I'm also wondering about this for when I want to put new rims on.

·
Registered
256 Posts
You should be fine, your wheels are already balanced. You might want to have it checked when you change your rims just to be sure.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Is It okay to remove my tires from my car to clean the insides? And pop them back on with no issues?

Like do I need to balance after? And is that something I would be able to do?

I'm also wondering about this for when I want to put new rims on.
I assume you're talking about taking the wheels off the car, not the tires off the wheels? If so, the only thing you need to do is re-torque the lugnuts after 150 miles.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
go on and take your wheels off...i usually do a few times a year for a major cleaning..and give the insides of them a good waxing..break dust doesn't stick as much to them thanks to that

·
Registered
27 Posts
1slosix said:
go on and take your wheels off...i usually do a few times a year for a major cleaning..and give the insides of them a good waxing..break dust doesn't stick as much to them thanks to that
Is there a specific wax for that?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Wat do u use to clean inside of wheel? Previous owner must've never cleaned them. I've tried and got little bit off, but far from clean.

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
its fine, and its a great opportunity to rotate the tires~

you should have a tq wrench (to ensure the lug nuts are correct when re installing them), a jack, and jack stands (2 makes it harder to rotate the wheels but it can be done.

simple green works great on the inside, also take the time to clean the fender wells and brakes up nice.

also a great time to do an oil change etc

·
Registered
254 Posts
All meguiars products are great IMO. but you can use simple green and even brake cleaner (just to break through the initial sludge of brake dust and such.) I would suggest using a scotch pad as well, as its abrasive but won't scratch your rims. Finish it off with a littler wheel polish and like the guys said, take the time to clean the fender well, brakes, pretty much any part you couldn't normally get to. :D

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Simple green wouldn't work on mine but I never tried Scotch pad. Brake cleaner worked a little. I'm going to try Scotch pad today, hopefully it don't rain again.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Sounds like u got some pretty grungy stuff on them lol. Yea you should go with a specific wheel cleaner like meguiars. And the scotch pad should work wonders :)

·
Lorraine's driver
8,195 Posts
It's good to get that build-up off of there. I could see a lot of build-up causing you wheel to become slightly out of balance.

This would also make it easier for the tire shops to attach the balance weights in the inner wheel side rather than the wheel edges where it looks rotating a$$. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts