Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 05 mustangs battery died. I replaced it and the wrench light and the battery light came on. Now there is no throttle response at all I recalibrate the throttle pedal and even did the ecu reset thing but nothing is working. Ford said they had to reset bcm or something like that and it'll cost 100 dollars. Has anyone else experienced this?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
It's a shame that automobiles have become so complicated that a simple battery replacement requires a visit to the dealership.

The only thing that I can suggest is to clear the ECM again, and then connect a fully charged battery. Then just let the car sit overnight, without turning on the ignition, lights, opening the doors... Basically, don't touch the car for about 8 hrs or so. There is a possibility that might reset the BCM, and it MIGHT start reading the correct battery voltage.

This is precisely the reason that I am wary of any vehicle that doesn't have a throttle cable.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks stray bullit. I didn't see your post but I tried something a ford mechanic said.

I loosend the cable and touched the cables together for 30 seconds. The guy says this makes it reset the conputer. I turned it on and all the check engine lights are off but it's still doing the same thing. Except all it has is a wrench light. I wish I had a diagnostics to see what the wrench light is. But my car acted like this a while back, I turned it on and wrench light came on and the throttle body was sticking. I bought some cleaner but next time I started it up, the wrench went off and limp mode left. I never had a problem since.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Did you check your drivetrain fuse? When you connected the battery maybe it blew that fuse, because I had the same thing happen a long time ago and it was the fuse I replaced it and cleared all my codes and good as new!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I haven't checked the fuses yet. Everything I start it it does the same thing.

I've redone the throttle response trick, touched the battery wires together for a computer reset and it cleared my engine codes, just not the wrench light. My battery light went off, but it's almost as if the tb is shut entirely. I'm going to clean it off and see if that does the trick.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I would say check your fuses because I had the wrench light on my car and I had blown my fuse for the drivetrain and I replaced it and now haven't had an issue so I would check fuses and if they are all good then yea maybe the TB cleaning will help.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Fuses are good. Now it won't crank over. ????. Tested battery and battery is good. I cleaned the throttle body and that's good. Ford thinks it's the ket. May have wiped memory to the key. This is a big headache since this is my only ride and I still have work.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Something just doesn't sounds right? I've changed my battery and didn't have any issues. I don't think it would wipe the memory on the key, I mean it could happen I guess but very unlikely. All the connections are good with the TB? I wonder if it could be the IAC sensor?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm going to scrub down all connectors and hook up battery tommorow. I let the cables touch again for about an hour. I cleaned the tb today but wasn't able to start because it didn't crank.

When I first bought the car in january, I was having some iac problems. It wasn't nothing major but it eventually went away. It could be a combination of a couple sensors. Now I have to figure out why it won't crank up now.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
Why are you touching the battery cables together? That's not going to do anything but fry the computer.:blink:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ford mechanic said that if you help the cables together, that actually resets the computer. I know, it sounds weird, but it really does work.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
Why are you touching the battery cables together? That's not going to do anything but fry the computer.:blink:
That seems to be an acceptable method for quickly dissipating any residual voltage left in the system.
I'm never in that much of a hurry, so I just leave everything disconnected for 20 minutes or so.

·
Registered
8,578 Posts
I'm going to scrub down all connectors and hook up battery tommorow. I let the cables touch again for about an hour. I cleaned the tb today but wasn't able to start because it didn't crank.

When I first bought the car in january, I was having some iac problems. It wasn't nothing major but it eventually went away. It could be a combination of a couple sensors. Now I have to figure out why it won't crank up now.

When you say that it won't crank up, do you mean that the starter won't spin the engine over?
Or does it spin the engine normally, but it is not starting?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok. This is what it did today. I hooked up the battery, which is a brand new battery. Turned key and everything lights up, go to start it and one click and it's like everything goes dead. Only lights on are some yellow seat person light, a flashing alarm livht, and the passenger airbag, but that light is super dim. Won't even turn on now.

·
Registered
455 Posts
This is something I haven't seen. Do you have a sound system that would drain the battery, or an open ground somewhere?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts