Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the dreaded hood corrosion starting on my hood and have narrowed it down to 2 hoods from Cervinis
The Stalker

Or Ram Air

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Stalker. The Ram Air looks like it belongs on a Pontiac Trans Am.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Stalker. The Ram Air looks like it belongs on a Pontiac Trans Am.
Now the Ram Air IV to me looks more like a Firebird than the Ram Air, it looked more like the 72 Ranchero GT/Gran Torino Sport.
Ram Air IV

Gran Torino Sport

I liked the Mach 1 but it is a 2010-12

·
Registered
323 Posts
Ram Air, looks like the scoop on a 68 Shelby GT350. I am quite sure that is where the inspiration for the design came from.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Stalker

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have the Stalker hood and it's great. Get it unpainted and get a local shop to match/blend the color for a better match.

·
Super Moderator
17,864 Posts
Stalker. Have it shipped bare and finished/painted locally.

·
Super Moderator
17,864 Posts
Now the Ram Air IV to me looks more like a Firebird than the Ram Air, it looked more like the 72 Ranchero GT/Gran Torino Sport.
Ram Air IV

Gran Torino Sport

I liked the Mach 1 but it is a 2010-12
If/when I ever get a Gen 1 Coyote (i'm in Europe for awhile so no idea) I would 100% get this hood.

·
Registered
6 Posts
its not corrosion, just bad paint ………….. had mine re painted ,good as new ,they did the underside also , common problem on these aluminum hoods
How long ago did you have it painted? Others have said it comes back after a repaint. Alternate threads claim bad preparation at the factory not bad paint.

Don't know if the problem was ever identified or solved to everyone's satisfaction so perhaps the new hood is right for him :confused:

·
Registered
411 Posts
It is caused by iron contaminants trapped under the paint that cause corrosion of the aluminum. I had quite a few bubbles forming on the sides under the hood. They are filled with aluminum oxide powder. I simply scraped them off and they stopped. Aluminum will not corrode when exposed to air. If you catch them early you can stop the process before it gets to the top of the hood.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How long ago did you have it painted? Others have said it comes back after a repaint. Alternate threads claim bad preparation at the factory not bad paint.

Don't know if the problem was ever identified or solved to everyone's satisfaction so perhaps the new hood is right for him :confused:
It was Iron Contaminants from the stamp and it gets in the bend in front and that is where the process starts according to my body guy.

It is caused by iron contaminants trapped under the paint that cause corrosion of the aluminum. I had quite a few bubbles forming on the sides under the hood. They are filled with aluminum oxide powder. I simply scraped them off and they stopped. Aluminum will not corrode when exposed to air. If you catch them early you can stop the process before it gets to the top of the hood.
It is already on the very front edge of the hood, too late.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
If/when I ever get a Gen 1 Coyote (i'm in Europe for awhile so no idea) I would 100% get this hood.
I love that hood, contemplated switching the front end to a 2010-12 GT just to get it, then I looked at the parts list and the final price :eek: :(

·
Registered
1,942 Posts

this year , but my shop said he knows how to cure the problem, he stripped the entire hood underside too

·
Registered
725 Posts
Stalker. You could have the old hood repainted but I vote for the up-grade. Stalker
Or do both and switch back and forth to mess with peoples heads.

---------- Post added at 07:14 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:13 AM ----------

Stalker. You could have the old hood repainted but I vote for the up-grade. Stalker
Or do both and switch back and forth to mess with peoples heads.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Stalker is ordered, Cervini is having a sale at least on the 13-14 hoods for $550, $140 off.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yep, he did the spoiler and matched without the car there.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts