Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, my dad keeps saying reving the car while its in neutral or park is bad for it. Im a noob on mustangs and cars and such that why I hang around here so I can learn quicker about them! ;) Anyway if you guys can clear this mess up? In my opinion I think its better to rev in park or neutral because it dosent put more stress on the engine because it dosent have to be in gear and the engine dosent need power to move the vehicle. If you guys wanna know its a 98 Stang V6 3.8L. Oh yea and also a friend of mine said to not rev it high (3000-4000 rpms) while the engine is cold, 80F-85F he says you have to warm it up some, is this true also?

Thanks!

·
Registered
166 Posts
As long as the engine is not cold from sitting. It cant hurt anymore than when you are driving.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Alright well whats cold to you? If the coolant gauge is in the normal band, is that warm enough for her?

·
Registered
126 Posts
If the engine is in the normal area on the gauge, there is nothing wrong with reving an engine. Its not like its going to throw a rod through the pan or anything. Maybe your dad can't tolerate noise.....

·
Registered
166 Posts
Just make sure the engine is up to tempature, as in the temp guage is in the middle..

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
alright glad I got that clear now. So if I reved my engine to about 3000-3500- 4000 RPMS for a couple seconds, will that have any type of effect on my engine longetivity? I mean like I know it does everytime the engine is running but what im wondering is does it take anymore longetivity out of the engine, then driving the mustang around? Thanks for all the help guys, much appreciated! :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
As long as your engine is is good running order, revv the crap out of it if you like!:headbang:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
LOL! :eek: :) And how do I know thats it in good running order? just by how it performs and sounds?:good: (sry im a nooby noob) :( and 03redfire, I like your train of thought, PEDAL TO THE METAL!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: lol:cool:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
no no, just sitting there and reving it some. thats all.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Ibanezplayer272 said:
LOL! :eek: :) And how do I know thats it in good running order? just by how it performs and sounds?:good: (sry im a nooby noob) :( and 03redfire, I like your train of thought, PEDAL TO THE METAL!!!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: lol:cool:
Well that is something I cant answer from here.. :cool: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
lol, alright bro, thanks for all the help and to everyone else, very much appreciated! Take Care of yourself and your Ponys!!!! Long Live American Muscle!:cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts