Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never driven an older mustang just an 02 and 12 model which is my DD. is it supposed to feel nose heavy and very very loose? I want to tighten the steering if possible

·
Registered
434 Posts
Yea, they drive like ****. If you want there are company's that make complete modern conversion kits for them

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
new I am sure they were much better but without a full refurbished system will not be a good ride for the most part

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Definitely don't handle like newer ones. But also the rubber bushings in all of the steering components are probably terrible. If you replace them with poly bushings, it helps a lot. Assuming your frame rails and structure are solid, upgrades are available. Mustangs Unlimited - Mustang Parts Superstore - FREE shipping! has modern front suspension systems as well as rear systems to eliminate the leaf springs. They also sell rack and pinion steering systems.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
SpectorV said:
new I am sure they were much better but without a full refurbished system will not be a good ride for the most part
My dads 69 has 35k original miles and it rides good with new shocks and cut springs

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Aggiesrok said:
Definitely don't handle like newer ones. But also the rubber bushings in all of the steering components are probably terrible. If you replace them with poly bushings, it helps a lot. Assuming your frame rails and structure are solid, upgrades are available. Mustangs Unlimited - Mustang Parts Superstore - FREE shipping! has modern front suspension systems as well as rear systems to eliminate the leaf springs. They also sell rack and pinion steering systems.
The steering rack from a 87 grand am works that's what's in those aftermarket kits

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So the steering can't be adjusted any without feeling like slop? It needs new bushings but I'd rather do brakes first. So basically if its giving you trouble just replace it? Seems easy enough. Just the front end and blinkers are what's left and ill have a descent DD.

·
Registered
208 Posts
There is some adjustment in the steering gearbox. Worn pitman arm and idler arm can cause slack. They drive pretty good if all the parts are in spec

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
If you're parked, turn the wheel til it moves a tire. Now how much can you turn the steering wheel in the opposite direction before a tire moves?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Theres an adjustment on the top of the steering box theres a nut you have to loosen and then use a standard or flat screwdriver but be care full i tried to adjust it to much and broke my steering box haha oops and also check all the steering parts like upper and lower control arms strut bars tie roods and make sure they dont have any play in them

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I'm dealing with is a lot of slop and play. Even my friends were saying they could feel what I was talking about. Over all its a good car just needs replaced parts since they are 42 years old

·
Registered
85 Posts
My son and I changed out the front end on our 66 GT coup. I noticed a big difference after new bushings, ball joints shocks etc... But.... It's still technology of 40 years ago. Gotta love it!

·
Registered
3,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I think the ball joints or something rubber looking near the brakes are blown out. Idk what these are for but they need replacing. That and the starter are my next project. We have a car lift though so it shouldn't be too bad

1 - 14 of 14 Posts