Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Rims and tires

2K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  badsheep5.0 
#1 ·
ok i am looking at getting new rims i wanna go 10.5 in the back but my tires i have are brand new and are 245/45r17. so will they fit on the 10.5 for now then when there life is over move up to better fits

Discussion starter · #6 ·
But the lip can get damaged any time when being shown. Are you planning on buying the tire rim combo or rims separately.
I was hopeing I could just do the back rims with some rubber on them since I no the ones I have now will fit up front since money is tight I was also thinking order them and look around see if I can find some decent ones that will fit and let them set in the garage entail then

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Those are a little rough lol. I could only have those if I had a 93 Cobra R. But you could get 9'' rims for the front and reuse your tires and get 10.5 for the back and get new tires. You should be able to get a few bucks back for the two unused tires on craigslist or what not.
Yeah I gonna see what I can do that's a good idea

Discussion starter · #14 ·
a 245 wide tire should never ever go on a 10.5 wide tire, heck anything over an 8 is to wide for it in my opinion ( a 9 " wide rim looks horrible but it will hold a 245)

a 10.5 needs a 305-315mm wide tire, if you dont plan to run a tire that wide then dont pick up 10.5 rims :( no point in having a wide rim if you have the wrong size tire on it and you have no rim protection from curbs.
Oh no I will get tires that fit for sure just money is tight so I am getting the 10.5 cuz that's the look I want but I just don't have the extra money for the rubber to wrap around it so I am debating running the tires I have entail I can afforded bigger back ones

Discussion starter · #18 ·
I wanted to do that set up as well, but after a little research i found out that in order to be able to fit those 10.5's you're going to need to take off your quad shocks and replace them with lower control arms, i think upper ones too im not 100% sure. And just to let you know the 245/45r17 tires you have will NOT fit the 10.5's. if you got those tires for the stock rims it's going to be much smaller. Also if you get different size tires in the back and front for example 10.5's in the back and 9's in the front you wont be able to rotate your tires meaning you will get uneven wear on all tires and it's just going to be a pain in your wallet to get new tires every year or 2. Especially if your car is a daily driver.

I recommend to you what Ford Racing recommended me;

Get 17" by 9" wide on all four corners. Keep the 245 tires in front and do 275 tires in the back, along with ford racing lowering B springs ,or C springs if it's not a daily driver, upgrading your shocks and struts aren't necessary unless they're already bad then might as well do it all at once.
This is a very nice setup it will give you that mean muscle car staggered stance and will greatly improve your handling.

You can also do 255's in front and 275's in the back, but that part depends on you. But forsure you should NEVER go more than 17" height and 9" wide. Especially if you like to go fast and if it's your daily driver. The 9" wide rims look really good. In my opinion they're just perfect. My cousin and I both have 94 GT's he has 10.5's in the back and 9's in front and he is always complaining about how much he hates it. He says their is a HUGE difference with my 9's all around then his setup. I didnt believe him until i drove his. Dont do it dude. Stick with 9's all around.
Hey man thanks I will keep you posted on what I do

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.