Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I tried and couldn't find any solid info on people who actually have done this mod so here's what I need help with. I have a 2013 GT that has stock cats, BBK x-pipe, and Roush axle backs. I removed the resonators and the sound was 'just about perfect' at normal driving speeds/slow and easy acceleration. For the most part deceleration sounded sweet, but still had a bit too much popping/crackling going on. WOT was ridiculous, but just a bit too loud. I'd rather not draw that much attention to myself. Today I had the stock resonators re-installed and it now sounds average again. Major bummer!!! It's better than stock, but just not sporty enough for me. Does anyone have a reasonable solution to my dilemma? Are there aftermarket resonators that would tone it down slightly without doing what the stock resonators have done. I live in SoCal so the cats have to stay on. I like a bit of the popping/crackling on decel and overall louder volume which is what the Roush's provided, but just too much of overall.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Exactly my situation too. My 2011 GT had Roush AB and no resonators. I loved the sound but it was sometimes just a little too extreme.
My 2014 has Roush AB with factory resonators and it's nice but not quite loud enough. I have been debating removing the resonators but then I'm stuck to nascar levels of sound all the time. I need my cats as well.
I hope someone can suggest a different resonator maybe that gives a middle ground.

·
Registered
213 Posts
That's a Roush axel back. Sound good as an axelback "only" and that's about it in my opinion.
You can try Magnaflow race bullets in place of your stock resonators as they will flow more then stock yet still tone you down a bit. I have not heard this setup but probably your best bet if that's the setup you wanna stick with. Otherwise change your axelback and start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, it's a frustrating situation. I read another thread and someone had mentioned trying Dynomax in place of the resonators. I just removed Gibson and replaced them with the Roush so I'd rather not start over again. Hopefully we can find someone with this set-up to know if it'll work or not.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What an offer!

I still don't see how going from Gibson ab's to Roush ab's would sound so different with the resonators removed, but just about identical with the resonators in place.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Seriously. I'm down to trade as well. I'll give you the resonator deleted ota pipes and gt500 mufflers for your stock pipes and ROUSH ab.

·
Registered
820 Posts
GT500 are too quiet. Looking for Louder than Roush AB with same raspy poppy sound but not quite nascar loud when there's no factory resonators.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am assuming the BBK is the after cat x since you said you had stock cats. I know it flows better than the stock h but that is contributing to the mildness. I had a different axle back but ended up removing my BBK after cat x for the stock h pipe and got a louder tone. It also sounded better to me. Might want to consider that change instead of more welding to the midpipe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am assuming the BBK is the after cat x since you said you had stock cats. I know it flows better than the stock h but that is contributing to the mildness. I had a different axle back but ended up removing my BBK after cat x for the stock h pipe and got a louder tone. It also sounded better to me. Might want to consider that change instead of more welding to the midpipe.
Thanks Max.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'll tell you what I have a set of magnaflow street series axle backs that have a great sound. I'm wanting something louder if anyone of you guys want to trade me your roush exhaust.

·
Registered
33 Posts
i have a 2015 gt and had the same problem but solved it.first I had magnaflow completion on the axle back and I took off the resonator and installed straight pipes there in its place.well way too loud. like drag racing. and the popo was surely watching me. so I put magnaflow street for axlebacks and replaced the resonator delete straight pipes with the competition mufflers.wow. still got a deep throat to it at idle and sounds good , at wot it is heard.and no boom at all inside.the best part is po po no longer watches me.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Sounds awwesome now im excited to get mine back. As long as it doesnt drive me crazy on the highway

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

1 - 20 of 36 Posts