Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Tech-Advisor
2014 Premium GT, SGM, Brembo, Auto, Tech, Comfort
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Busily installing a ROUSH TVS on my 2014 auto. Noticed the wiring included with the Roush kit is ridiculous in not being plug and play. Depinning a modern car with its tiny delicate connectors is not something that amuses me. VMP sells plug and play stuff so, I'm just getting that.

Another hangup is the AT cooler lines. No matter how I juggle them, they just won't fit and interfere with the FEAD. The instructions don't tell me anything other than disconnecting one and removing a bracket and never returns to what to do. At this point, I'm just going to disconnect the main offender of the two and replace it with some soft high pressure line and constant tension clamps. Minor irritation but, I was specifically told this kit would work with an AT.

The installation is definitely called "advanced" by everyone and I'd concur with that. I'm not super pressed for time right now so, I'll just take my time. Not my first major project.

Reactions: crjackson

·
Administrator
9,775 Posts
My Roush TVS kit came with the Plug-n-Play wiring, but I had to specify that in the order. It was $18 more, but I’m not sure it was even used By the installer. When I bought mine, I was planning to do the install myself, but changed my mind. I have a manual transmission so I didn’t have to contend with trans cooler lines.

I went ahead and upgraded the Heat-Exchanger to a VMP, did the OPG/CS, Kooks LTH, Oil Catch-can, FRPP All Aluminum Radiator, GT500 Fan, GT500 hood (for better heat extraction), and a few other things. I skipped the Roush tune. Pro-Dyno did my install and tune. The car idles and drives smoother than stock, but is wickedly violent on demand.

The system works well, I have no complaints & no regrets, but I never ran most of what came new in the kit. The Heat Exchanger from the kit is way to small in my opinion. Did you get the Phase 3 kit?
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive fuel system Car

·
Tech-Advisor
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine came from Brenspeed so, the wiring is as provided by Roush. I just can't be bothered with me arthritic old hands trying to move wires around and depin stuff. The ACT tie-in is fine to use; that's just tapping into one wire on the ECM and adding a pin at a location. I just got a 12" MAF extension, the ECT/TPS Y harness and the EVAP one from VMP. It wasn't $18 but, worth it in hassle savings. This is the base Brenspeed 626R which is fine with me. I wanted durability, simplicity and the torque boost more than anything. I know it only takes 100 horse on this fatass car to blow through the cage limit at my local track anyway from me nitrous days......

·
Administrator
9,775 Posts
I’ve done a lot of upgrades beyond the initial install. I’ve been on 15 psi boost for 30,000 miles now, and it’s a truly scary beast at full-tilt. I just took it in recently for a health check (Compression, leak-down, bore-scoped, etc…). No signs of trouble. It’s a really nice setup when it all comes together. I initially started with Brenspeed, but came out better buying direct from Roush. I have a Roush dealership about 20 miles from my house, and made some great contacts there. They helped me order the kit (custom). I probably could have come out a lot cheaper had I only ordered the parts I actually used. It’s just that, after I inspected the kit, I wasn’t happy with the heat-exchanger size. I decided to upgrade that, amongst other things.

·
Tech-Advisor
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I might do is force feed the heat exchanger with a fan kit down the road, if it gets touchy. It should be adequate at regular boost levels, maybe with a dash of engine ice in there. Nearest Roush dealer to me is on an island off the west coast so, no joy there.

·
Administrator
9,775 Posts
What I might do is force feed the heat exchanger with a fan kit down the road, if it gets touchy. It should be adequate at regular boost levels, maybe with a dash of engine ice in there. Nearest Roush dealer to me is on an island off the west coast so, no joy there.
I don’t think you’ll have a problem with it really. It’s what Roush put on their brand new cars of the same year. I just wanted to improve on it, because I do a lot of city driving, and heat is the enemy. I’ve done a lot to mitigate heat and I think it has helped. My car runs great even in 100°F weather, but I’m not done yet. Just taking a bit of a break. I’m installing both the upper/lower Roush High-Flow grills along with the Fog Light kit next month (in a few days actually). This is not only for aesthetics, but to move more air, and to make room for an even bigger HE and water pump I want to install down the road.

·
Tech-Advisor
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hear ya. Although it's 35 degrees C today, the climate here is generally pretty mild so, not Mississippi or Florida heat here, hardly ever. Most of the time it rains so, my car is set up for that, suspension, tires, lighting, wipers, all to be awesome in the wet. I think this may impair some of that capability, har!

The Roush stock tunes are soft as pancakes, to preserve the engine warranty. That's why I didn't want their ECM flash....also bc I have a X4 and loading a tune that way is easy and I don't need to send the ECM away. Brenspeed has alot of experience tuning these so, I picked them. We'll see how it goes.

Today, I did find a way to cram those oil cooler lines in and hook them up, with the FEAD in place. Don't totally like it but, it's together.

·
Administrator
9,775 Posts
If I had an automatic I’d take a pic for you. Once the install is finished, and the tune dialed in, I think you’ll be happy with it.

I took a long time planning out and vetting parts selections on mine. I don’t have your experience or expertise, so I moved a little slower, but I’m not disappointed at all. The more I drive it, the more I appreciate the engineering of the TVS system.

·
Tech-Advisor
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A tiny tweak of the nearby AC line gave me just enough room.

It is a demanding install, even for someone that's been around the block a bit. I did a Paxton install on my 2012 in an easy day. Nothing at all compared to this.

·
Administrator
9,775 Posts
Yeah, I know … That’s why I decided on a shop install. My installer does about 10 of these every month, and is highly acclaimed. I first approached Brent White to do the install, but he never returned my calls or emails to schedule it.

I‘m not sorry for it though. I ended up with a great result. If you’re like me, I wouldn’t have blinked an eye at this as a younger man, now days I hate the prospect of any heavy wrenching. Age has stolen some of my gumption.

·
Tech-Advisor
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess I found a bit of my old motivation for a bit here but, I've definitely been pacing myself as, I'm not really pressed for time here, like I normally would be. Just means I ride the ZX14R more for a few days.

·
Administrator
9,775 Posts
Too bad you didn’t photograph your progress, and post them here along the way. That would’ve been great. You should post some pics of the finished result though.

·
Tech-Advisor
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I did think about it but I just couldn't find the motivation to slow progress like recording stuff does.

The latest headache is.....wow....I cannot get that supplied belt on for the life of me. Even with the tensioner cranked all the way, it seems too short. I know it has to be tight but, this is snap the crank tight, even if I got it on. I do have the supplied larger pulley for the base kit of course but, I'm really struggling with this. Any ideas beyond looking for a longer belt?

·
Administrator
9,775 Posts
No, it's the wrong belt. Both Brenspeed and American Muscle were known to supply belts in that kit, that are too short. I'm pretty sure that's your issue. I've read it dozens of times on reviews from various places.

Call Brenspeed, and see if they will swap with you. AM wouldn't do the swaps when they had that kit, you just had to buy a longer belt. I can't remember the length off cuff. I'll look it up when I get home.

·
Tech-Advisor
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for confirming that, I thought I was losing my mind but, apparently not. I just went to the local store and got three sizes. ~1/2 longer than the supposed 82" Roush stocker, 3/4 and 1" longer but, I may need to just go back and get an actual 82. Being in another country it ain't worth waiting on Brenspeed or the time to pick it up from my US address.

·
Administrator
9,775 Posts
Thanks for confirming that,
Yeah, it’s happened to a lot of folks. Another reason for putting the onus on an installer shop. They already know the pitfalls, and are prepared to handle then & there.

·
Tech-Advisor
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Got it, the 82.4" belt I got from the parts store is close enough for government work. The belt supplied was....81" Just a bit off.....

·
Administrator
9,775 Posts
Got it, the 82.4" belt I got from the parts store is close enough for government work. The belt supplied was....81" Just a bit off.....
I think the actual belt called for is an 82” belt. Since you have a working solution, I’d press Brenspeed for a proper belt exchange.

·
Tech-Advisor
3,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just found out from Brenspeed, "BTW, you need to use a hose to extend the trans cooler lines; our kit doesn't contain these parts or instructions." Awesome. Good thing I figured that shyt out on my own three days ago.

·
Administrator
9,775 Posts
Strange that it’s not mentioned in the install instructions. Do the instructions mention anything at all related to the automatic transmission?

Have you finished the install?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts