Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, as of Tuesday, I have another 08 Roush 427R. It’s a torch red coupe, 57K miles. Decided not to build my blue one and bought another. I originally wanted a red one when I was looking for one, but the deal on the blue was too good to pass up. The cars are fun enough at their power level, and two are better than one. I don’t have many photos of it but I’ll get them later. Little about the car, has the roush 4 piston big brakes up front but it didn’t come from the factory with them. Has unknown off-road X, probably BBK, and had flowmasters. As of yesterday it has the original roush mufflers off the blue one currently. Sounds so much better. Car is #235.

IMG_4491.jpg

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
That's pretty cool! Even the floor mats say 427R!
It looks like that car has a few more horsepower than 427. Did they put each car on a dyno? Or did they have a bunch of those placards made up and put on randomly.... "We'll call this one 432 hp.This one looks like she'll put down about 434 hp. This one is a damned freak, 438 hp, etc".

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That's pretty cool! Even the floor mats say 427R!
It looks like that car has a few more horsepower than 427. Did they put each car on a dyno? Or did they have a bunch of those placards made up and put on randomly.... "We'll call this one 432 hp.This one looks like she'll put down about 434 hp. This one is a damned freak, 438 hp, etc".
Disregarding the sarcasm, the 427R package’s first year of production was 427/391. Second year and onward they tuned it to 435/400.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
I wasn't being sarcastic.... That was a legitimate question and display of my lack of knowledge about that particular car.

Here is another:
Do dyno results typically confirm that 435 hp number?
More or less?

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It’s crank figures. Generally they dyno at 370-375 at the tires. But a simple tune will get them up to 400. VMP claims with a 2.49 pulley and CAI it’s almost 430rwhp.

Pick your poison.

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I like them a lot. (Duh)
The goal is for the GT and the Mach to be close to the twins in performance. What I want to do to the GT can at the least be at 350 without heads. With heads maybe 365? I haven’t really seen anyone with the set up I want to use. Closest was everything with stock heads at 348-353rwhp. The Mach will just be headers and cams and maybe a throttle body. I don’t need 500+rwhp, I enjoy the hell out of my boosted 3V’s at under 400. Though I’m not a fan of that tiny blower, I’ll keep it on them. It’s fine for what I use the cars for. Kinda pathetic they’d use a six banger blower on a V8 but what do I know.

Pick your poison.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
Until recently, the manufacturers seemed content installing superchargers that are just big enough to achieve the desired horsepower, and not much more.
With a pulley, it sounds like it is getting pretty close to what many consider as being the safe horsepower limit for the 4.6 rotating assembly anyway. Although, I think that there are a lot of 4.6 cars in the mid 500's reporting no problems. Probably, a good tune, and the luck of the draw whether a rod breaks or not.
Nobody needs a 500+ whp car. I still would like to have a car, or truck, that has slightly more power than is actually usable though.... Whatever that number may be. Just for grins every once in a while.

Anyway, I think that the supercharged 3V's are becoming a good bargain for a factory built hot rod.

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The biggest issue is the blower. It’s an M90. I have a boost gauge in the blue one and it’s making 5lbs. I might be lucky to get 9-10lbs max. That’s spinning that blower hard, and it overheats quickly. It’s a 3 blade rotor system. My old SSEI Bonneville M90 made 9lbs with the factory pulley which was substantially larger than the one on the Roush M90. VMP does make a 1.7L TVS blower swap that’s pretty good. I saw someone make 500rwhp on it but stopped going further due to concerns of the internals. I do have a spare M90 head unit I bought from Roush when they were cleaning out their factory. I thought about sending it to Steg to have it ported but I still don’t know if I’ll do that. Nitrous is another alternative, but I don’t like the fact that it will run out. Anyway the main focus is to fix some issues on the red one and do a few more mods to make her better. Engine wise I’m not really going to do anything, but some visual and suspension mods are planned.

Pick your poison.

·
Premium Member
6,831 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMG_4492.jpg

Took them to a car show over the week end. Hopefully the red one will get some different shoes tomorrow or next week. Other thing it’ll get is a shorty antenna. I can’t stand the stock antenna anymore.

Pick your poison.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts