Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the dealer to have my oil changed on Friday and I brought Royal Purple oil. The Dealer said they would use my oil and I would save some money. So after the oil was changed I went home and pulled out the dipstick and dragged it across some tissue paper. The color was a tinge of purple but a little charcoal color. I then took the remaining Royal Purple from the jug and placed it on the tissue paper beside it. It was a neon purple. Do you think the charcoal purple is normal or do you think the dealer ripped me off?

Also do I need to take my car to the dealer to keep the warranty in check or can I do the oil changes myself?

Thanks

·
Registered
753 Posts
I went to the dealer to have my oil changed on Friday and I brought Royal Purple oil. The Dealer said they would use my oil and I would save some money. So after the oil was changed I went home and pulled out the dipstick and dragged it across some tissue paper. The color was a tinge of purple but a little charcoal color. I then took the remaining Royal Purple from the jug and placed it on the tissue paper beside it. It was a neon purple. Do you think the charcoal purple is normal or do you think the dealer ripped me off?

Also do I need to take my car to the dealer to keep the warranty in check or can I do the oil changes myself?

Thanks
Did they change your filter?

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
How many miles between oil change did u go?? If the oil was really dark, chances are your new oil will look dark too... Plus I'm sure whoever did your oil change didn't wait till every ounce of oil was drained out... That's why I like doing mine myself :)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did they change your filter?
Yeah they said they changed the filter.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

How many miles between oil change did u go?? If the oil was really dark, chances are your new oil will look dark too... Plus I'm sure whoever did your oil change didn't wait till every ounce of oil was drained out... That's why I like doing mine myself :)
I went 5000 KM which is about 3100 Miles. If I do the change myself, will I have warranty issues?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
As long as you document it you can retain your warranty and do it yourself at home. The reason it looks dark is they didn't let it drain completely. Common in quick lube bays. I let mine drain till its barely dripping. This mixes with the new oil and immediately gets a darker colour. It would be very sketchy to steal a customers oil. Especially rp which is pretty easy to check.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Yeah they said they changed the filter.

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:25 PM ----------

I went 5000 KM which is about 3100 Miles. If I do the change myself, will I have warranty issues?
If warranty is the concern, then it would be best to have the dealer or an authorized shop do it only because its documented.

·
Premium Member
5,320 Posts
As my mechanic says the only reason you need to use the dealer is for recalls and warranty work. I use the dealer for oil. They're quick they use good stuff, and I don't have to drive all the way to recycle it.

·
Registered
24 Posts
If your going to buy the oil you should do the change yourself, have couple beers and admire your engine. Having worked at a dealership there going to get your car in and out as quickly as possible. They make no money on an oil change so there not going to spend a lot of time on it.

·
Registered
61 Posts

Thanks
Thw first time I ran RP after I bought my car it was the same way, purple with a slight charcoal tint. The RP picked up the remaining hints of the previous oil that was in the car. The 2nd cycle of royal purple was much better. But I too suggest changing the oil yourself. That way you know that it was done right and no corners were cut to get you in and out.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Hell I didnt think it stayed purple once u drive it
It doesnt change from purple to charcoal as soon as you crank the car. Lol. Of course it changed color when you start putting miles into it but it retains a purple hue for a while. I think im close to 3k miles on this cycle and it still has a slight purple hue to it

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
It doesnt change from purple to charcoal as soon as you crank the car. Lol. Of course it changed color when you start putting miles into it but it retains a purple hue for a while. I think im close to 3k miles on this cycle and it still has a slight purple hue to it
Sounds like this was the guys first oil change though, it's entirely possible there were still some deposits from break-in that made the oil look like this. Couple that with the oil not being completely drained by lazy dealership techs and this sounds like it's probably normal to me.

I would never dream of letting anyone change the oil in my Mustang but me. I never trusted them in the first place, and even less so after hearing all the horror stories of people getting the Coyotes back with only 5qts of oil in them.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thw first time I ran RP after I bought my car it was the same way, purple with a slight charcoal tint. The RP picked up the remaining hints of the previous oil that was in the car. The 2nd cycle of royal purple was much better. But I too suggest changing the oil yourself. That way you know that it was done right and no corners were cut to get you in and out.
Yeah that sounds about right. I will let it go this time and next time I will do it myself. Thanks!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts