Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's time for me to change my oil.. I've been using mobil1 but I was thinking about switching it up this time and using royal purple.. It's an auto and a DD if that matters.. Should i go royal purple or just stick with mobil1?

·
Premium Member
8,133 Posts
I've always used royal purple. People say its overpriced and you just pay for the name but instead of changing every 3k I now do like 4500-5k miles oil changes. Plus I can redline higher without smelling the burning oil smell. I highly reccomend it

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I've always used royal purple. People say its overpriced and you just pay for the name but instead of changing every 3k I now do like 4500-5k miles oil changes. Plus I can redline higher without smelling the burning oil smell. I highly reccomend it
+11. I normally go about 6,000 miles between oil changes with mine. And the stuff still looks pretty clean when I do.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is it a v8? I've been wondering this too.
Yeah mine is a GT... I don't expect to see any hp gains or anything like that, I'm just wondering if you can feel a difference in the way it performs

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just did an oil change today with Royal Purple 5W20 and a Royal Purple filter. I've heard great things about Royal Purple so I'm gonna give them a try. I've also heard this oil causes premature wear on gaskets and causes leaks. Every one I heard this from didn't have this happen from personal experience but heard it from someone else. Royal Purple is a good choice in my book.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Any synthetic oil can cause leaks if used on an old, abused car that's been running dino. The reason? Varnish build up.

These old motors have varnish on the inside and as the motor wears the seals, the varnish will actually help build the surface up to keep it from leaking. If you start using synthetic, the varnish starts to get cleaned from the motor and the seals opening becomes exposed and leaks start.

I really have no idea how it can hurt gaskets.

·
Registered
379 Posts
+1 on the Royal Purple. I have never tried their filters, however. I like K&N's oil filters because they have the nut welded to the bottom that it is the same size as the oil plug, so you only need one tool to change your oil.

·
Registered
135 Posts
The second I got my car I switched it to royal purple I have not seen any problems it has been running perfect.

---------- Post added at 10:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:18 AM ----------

Mine is a DD also

1 - 10 of 10 Posts