Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just noticed (i think it just started to do this for about 3 weeks now)... at idle.. my car dips and rises in RPMS every few seconds. it will be at 700 and then it will dip down to 600 and then rise up to 800. my exhaust makes a puffing noise too.. and you can feel vibrations while sitting in the car too when it does that. it only does it on a warm engine too... im thinking maybe its just my exhaust setup or maybe its something more serious? bad fuel injector maybe? it might not even be a problem.. maybe its normal? to be honest.. i kinda like the sound of it.. however... i wanna know if something is messed up.

·
Premium Member
897 Posts
my car does it when my Bass hits :headbang: I need a powerful alternator though

·
Registered
529 Posts
My car does the same thing, plus I get a nice high pitched whine at the rear end that I'm guessing comes from the fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
whipster24 said:
My car does the same thing, plus I get a nice high pitched whine at the rear end that I'm guessing comes from the fuel pump.
yup myns been doing that, then the fuel pump died, iam in the processes of fixing myn. My car currently doesnt have a gas tank. Ill get the tank and new pump up tomorow.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Oh lovely, Yeah, the guy at napa said that it might be no problem cuz some fuel pumps tend to whine anyway. I know it's not the plugs, I just changed those a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I thought I wasn't getting the fuel efficiency that I should be getting. :-? :(

I wonder if this pump would work well?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=6763&item=2436868799

Ya think something off of ebay would be a good choice?

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
that fuel pump is too much money. 190lph's usualy goto for like $90ish.

all you really need is like a 155lph. www.summitracing.com or www.jegs.com

·
Registered
529 Posts
most of the 155s I've seen are running around $85 or so on those sites.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Here we go

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2437111747&category=33555

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
no you dont need a regulator unless you change injectors. your current stock fixed regulator will regulate the fuel just fine. the fuel pump is major overkill unless you are going for big time poweradder

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
you can never have too much pump. like corey said, it will get regulated by the regulator and the injectors.

but the larger the pump, the less life it has. they are good for a while though, and never that expensive

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Well that is a tuff one. Normally they have a long life. You have a 95 so that is 9 years I know quite a few mustangs that have the original pumps

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
My original pump just went.

Matt'sdrag95 gave me his old gas tank, and it has his pump in it which was good.
My tank was very rusted so i painted a few posts on his so it wouldnt rust as bad and iam just going to swap tanks.
Right now all i gotta do is put on the new tank and iam done.

·
You want to **** me?
4,043 Posts
how much work is it to change the fuel pump? is it actually inside the tank or can someone take a pic of where its at? I need to get a 155lph pump so i can run 100 shot soon here.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
its not hard,

Syphon gas tank.

Remove all bolts to the filler neck.
Remove all bolts on the gas tank straps.
get a jack with a long piece of wood on it, before u take off the last bolt.

Then take off the last bolt, lower the jack, wiggle out the filler neck from the tank.
Go a little lower. (hard part) removing the fuel lines, you gotta get a fuel line disconnect set, got myn at sears it was 9.99.
Its a *****, myn was all rusted. Very hard to get them off.
But once their off, unplug the gas pump harness.
Lower the tank.
Then the fuel pump assembly is right to the right. (near where the filler neck goes)

Dan haga made a write up on swtiching fuel pumps somewhere

·
Registered
529 Posts
Oh sure, and the check engine light just came on!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts