Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's up guys. Have a 2013 V6 with 59k Miles. This only happens at times but it throws a red flag up to me, I put my car in reverse to park and back to drive and so forth to correct it. Now when I switch it into reverse or park at times the RPMs will drop, stutter then shoot back up to normal, the whole car shakes a bit when this happens. Anyone have this issue? If you did what was it? Has me worried as I'm gonna be doing a little road trip and don't want anything to happen while I'm away.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution

·
Registered
232 Posts
What's up guys. Have a 2013 V6 with 59k Miles. This only happens at times but it throws a red flag up to me, I put my car in reverse to park and back to drive and so forth to correct it. Now when I switch it into reverse or park at times the RPMs will drop, stutter then shoot back up to normal, the whole car shakes a bit when this happens. Anyone have this issue? If you did what was it? Has me worried as I'm gonna be doing a little road trip and don't want anything to happen while I'm away.
My car idles initially around 1000-1250 on startup, then once it warms it settles in to around 700-800. From time to time there will be a brief drop to 500 and then back to 700-800. As far as I know, it's perfectly normal.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's weird though. It's not like it just drops. It drops fast then stutters. Car shakes then it goes back up

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's pretty odd though it drops quickly stutters then goes back up and the car shakes.

·
Registered
232 Posts
To me, that's perfectly normal. Mine did it when I bought it. I've already done multiple oil changes, new plugs, new air filter, catch can, tune, and it still does it.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So nothing really to worry about? Cause a while back I had to change my throttle body actuator and my car would actually end up turning off when that would happen but that got fixed since then

·
Registered
232 Posts
I don't know about the 13/14, but there was a recall on my 11 to replace the entire throttle body. Granted mine has been replaced and it still will occasionally shudder.

I'll wait for Volt/Strange to chime in before I risk putting my foot in my mouth.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea throttle body isn't an issue I got that replaced about 6 months ago. Throttle body actuator went out supposedly it was common and I got it all changed out

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Its when you shift from D to R, or it just happens randomly and shifting fixes it?

Car is an automatic. It's when I shift from drive to reverse or vice versa. Also when I put the car in park at time it'll drop

·
Registered
544 Posts
I have a manual transmission and mine does this all the time. Especially if I am "spirited" driving. I have done the same thing as Mugeismo as far parts being replaced and maintenance, etc. Also how the car acts when in idle from a cold start and etc.

I actually made a thread about my car misfiring all the time because of cylinder one. I replaced the plugs and all seems to be well now. Maybe you need to look at your plugs or the coil packs themselves?

Hey Volt,

I believe it is your wife who has the V6 model right? Do you all have the SCT X4 tuner as well? Is there a way for me to see if all cylinders are running correctly?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have a manual transmission and mine does this all the time. Especially if I am "spirited" driving. I have done the same thing as Mugeismo as far parts being replaced and maintenance, etc. Also how the car acts when in idle from a cold start and etc.

I actually made a thread about my car misfiring all the time because of cylinder one. I replaced the plugs and all seems to be well now. Maybe you need to look at your plugs or the coil packs themselves?

Hey Volt,

I believe it is your wife who has the V6 model right? Do you all have the SCT X4 tuner as well? Is there a way for me to see if all cylinders are running correctly?

I would say 95% of the time I'm driving under 2500-3000 rpm. Never really drive the car too hard. How could I check the spark plugs or the coil packs. I've never done it on my car

·
Registered
232 Posts
Its when you shift from D to R, or it just happens randomly and shifting fixes it?
Occasionally while sitting at a light idling it'll drop for 2-3 seconds. Primarily when I get home from my commute and put it in to park, I'll give it a minute to cool down and it'll drop 2-3 seconds. That's the primary times I see it.

My first shift of the day from R to D usually results in the car bucking and a slight RPM jump.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well...its not an easy task on the V6's unfortunately because of the "air intake", "air plenum" or "manifold" whatever you want to call it. It's the big plastic piece on top of the motor. But you can at least check the driver side because those 3 plugs can be taken out without removing the plastic piece.

Of course remove the negative terminal from the battery before doing anything on the car. The "coil packs" are just bolted down. I believe it was the 8mm socket that worked on every bolt under the hood pretty much.

From what I've read and have been told the plugs should have very minimal amount of black on the tips. If the tips seem to be broken or worn down then they need to be replaced.

In my case all 6 plugs were incredibly black but no tips were broken. You will need a spark plug socket to get them out. No way around that.

But please don't quote me on anything I am by no means a mechanic. I am a computer nerd who likes to turn the wrench from time to time.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well...its not an easy task on the V6's unfortunately because of the "air intake", "air plenum" or "manifold" whatever you want to call it. It's the big plastic piece on top of the motor. But you can at least check the driver side because those 3 plugs can be taken out without removing the plastic piece.

Of course remove the negative terminal from the battery before doing anything on the car. The "coil packs" are just bolted down. I believe it was the 8mm socket that worked on every bolt under the hood pretty much.

From what I've read and have been told the plugs should have very minimal amount of black on the tips. If the tips seem to be broken or worn down then they need to be replaced.

In my case all 6 plugs were incredibly black but no tips were broken. You will need a spark plug socket to get them out. No way around that.

But please don't quote me on anything I am by no means a mechanic. I am a computer nerd who likes to turn the wrench from time to time.

But anything helps from someone who has been in my situation before. I have a friend of mine who is a master tech/head mechanic at a local ford. Might ask him what he thinks about the issue and if it is common

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That is a great friend to have!

Wish I had one lol. I would love to pick his brain about a few things on my car.

Yea I just sent him a message on the subject. It used to happen when I would put gas and he replaced some seal in the gas tank or something and it never happened again

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hmm really? My does it also after getting a fresh tank of gas.

We've discussed that before on this forum and it always came down to either the tune, the gas used, the air to fuel mixture doing its thing...so it could be a seal after all?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hmm really? My does it also after getting a fresh tank of gas.

We've discussed that before on this forum and it always came down to either the tune, the gas used, the air to fuel mixture doing its thing...so it could be a seal after all?

I have been considering a tune forever. I only have the basic intake exhaust done to the car so I had never seen a need for it. Wanted to do a economy tune to get better gas mileage as I never race the car but I want to get this problem settled first before I go forward and do that

·
Registered
544 Posts
Yea that would be a smart thing to do.

But definitely get a tune! When you can of course. Made a night and day difference for me and I have the horrible 2.73's....

By the way - I absolutely love your taste when it comes to the modifications that you have done to your sixxer. Very sexy!

1 - 20 of 41 Posts