Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's a 67 with a 289 and C4. It's running hot, the needle was buried. I've changed the sending unit, new 3-row rad, water pump and thermostat and re-installed missing heater core. Now it runs a little cooler, but still hot. Could it be the gauge? The engine doesn't behave like it's hot, doesn't smell hot. How can you test the gauge for accuracy?

·
Registered
509 Posts
A shop that has been around awhile might have a gauge tester. Basically lets you dial in the resistor to factory specs and check the position of the gauge. You have to find the specs though. I haven't looked for them on the old cars.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A shop that has been around awhile might have a gauge tester. Basically lets you dial in the resistor to factory specs and check the position of the gauge. You have to find the specs though. I haven't looked for them on the old cars.
Have you heard of these gauges needing calibration? I thought that they just broke and stopped working. I guess I could buy an Autometer and hook it up for testing purposes, I think you can get them for $25-$40.

·
Registered
884 Posts
It's a 67 with a 289 and C4. It's running hot, the needle was buried. I've changed the sending unit, new 3-row rad, water pump and thermostat and re-installed missing heater core. Now it runs a little cooler, but still hot. Could it be the gauge? The engine doesn't behave like it's hot, doesn't smell hot. How can you test the gauge for accuracy?
Dumb question but I have to ask. Did you rebuild the engine? If so the valves may be to tight or the timing might be out a bit. If not the take and old thermometer and run the car with out the radiator cap on. Watch the gauge when it reads to hot stick the thermometer in to radiator and read the temp. It should be close to what the thermostat is rated for. Just a quick sanity check way of testing things.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dumb question but I have to ask. Did you rebuild the engine? If so the valves may be to tight or the timing might be out a bit. If not the take and old thermometer and run the car with out the radiator cap on. Watch the gauge when it reads to hot stick the thermometer in to radiator and read the temp. It should be close to what the thermostat is rated for. Just a quick sanity check way of testing things.
Not a dumb question, just got the car in August, 2012. It's been rebuilt, 289 with 302 heads. That's part of the problem, I don't know anything about the internals, cam, valves, pistons, etc. I've got some electrical issues, I have solved a few, but still need to pull the instrument panel. There two alarms in it a one time and I think they messed up some wiring in the dash. They have all kinds of relays hanging in there. I thought about changing the thermostat temp. It seems like the gauge works, but is off.

I'll check the timing and the coolant temp. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I just got a 2006 mustang SCS v6 any info on it I know it stands for southern cal special bit no info on the hp or special package features

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey I just got a 2006 mustang SCS v6 any info on it I know it stands for southern cal special bit no info on the hp or special package features
Here's what I found for you:

Southern California Special
The 2006 Southern California Special was limited to 600 V6 Mustangs and included 9" silver racing stripes, chrome exhaust tips, Pony package (with 17 inch painted aluminum wheels, GT rear wing spoiler, fog lamps, ABS/Traction control, GT shocks, swaybar, and steering gear), special California edition "gas cap" badge, interior upgrade package (My Color Dash illumination, Chrome trim accents), power driver's seat, and Shaker 500 audio system. In 2005 a similar special model was called the San Diego Special, and starting in 2007 changed to a GT modification called the California Special.

2006 Southern California Special

Now can you help me with my 67 problem?

·
Registered
847 Posts
Maybe try running it without a thermostat and see if it cools off any ???if so then you would need a hotter thermostat, or not at all like I run in my 70 which runs hot with thermostats, but fine without them

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

fomoco4life said:
Maybe try running it without a thermostat and see if it cools off any ???if so then you would need a hotter thermostat, or not at all like I run in my 70 which runs hot with thermostats, but fine without them
Also are you running coolant ir straightwater??

·
Registered
509 Posts
My experience was with slightly newer cars and usually fuel gauge but they worked the same. The shop had one and it made it easy to diagnose gauge vs sender. I think they can become inaccurate over time. I know the fuel gauge can be adjusted cant remember about the temp. Mustang Monthly had a good article a couple years ago.

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Rbgonzo4 said:
Nothing like a good ol thread jack. Lol

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 PM ----------

Also are you running coolant ir straightwater??
I think I put a lower thermostat when I changed it. I'm running 50/50 Prestone.

·
Registered
1,890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
884 Posts
Nothing like a good ol thread jack. Lol
Well it was this persons third post might not have realized they where responding to a post not starting a new one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts