Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rust! Help. Hw do you treat the underbody to slow rust? Can I go under and just rustoleum the hell out of everything that doesn't get hot?

My front rotors, the slots in them (side) are completely rusted with huge flakes of rust coming out.

Ideas?

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Sandblast will remove almost all rust, there are chemicals made by dupont that you can get to treat metal to stop rust , the rust o leum paints, also under coatings help. If you drive your car in areas that use salt on roads in winter and you drive in winter, rinse under the car often in winter to get the salt out, this is a killer, causes lots of rust. Coastal areas are also bad for salt and salt in the air, you just have to take extra effort to clean and protect your car, and its still going to rust faster really.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Yeah, its working guys...

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
ASSEMbler said:
Rust! Help. Hw do you treat the underbody to slow rust? Can I go under and just rustoleum the hell out of everything that doesn't get hot?

My front rotors, the slots in them (side) are completely rusted with huge flakes of rust coming out.

Ideas?
You live in the rust belt. They use salt on the roads. If you dont completely get all of the rust off with sand or bead blasting and then a good undercoating over everything it will continue to rust.

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
ASSEMbler said:

Ideas?
First off, you can't stop rust, but you can slow it down. Go grab a pheumatic (sp?) bursh grinder or a electric brush grinder and clean up the rust. Get it all off. Then get some brake cleaner and spray it on a shop rag and clean the area where you grinder and the area around to get all the little particles off. Then prime and paint. It's really easy. And after it starts again, rinse and repeat. Check it out every six months or so.

And as you your rotors. Try braking hard. Like go fast down your road and slam on the brakes. That'll fix that. ;)

Hope this helps you out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts