Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys in june i had true duals put on my v6, they didnt put tips on and now im getting rust really bad at the ends of each side, i took it back once when it was just starting and they just painted over it with "no rust" paint and said that would fix it, didnt happen, i was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and knows a fix for it, or if i should just go have them put some nice stainless steel tips on, thanks

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Chrome tips rust badly especially if they are not cleaned very regularly. If you live near the ocean or a salt enviroment it just makes the rusting process faster. Staimless is much better for tips but again even low grade stainless will corrode if not cleaned often

I use Eagle one Metal Polish It comes in a silver can and it has wadding in it. It works to get everything off including road grime and it does not scratch the chrome or stainless. I also use it to keep my Polished Upper intake shiney !!!

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Yeh...just get good quality polished stainless. That's what I have on my car and you can't tell a difference between the chrome plating and stainless except for the fact mine isn't rusting....lol

·
Premium Member
26,052 Posts
WhiteStang99 said:
i think this is actually quite common. Go get some LONG stainless tips and have them put on, you should be ok.
ive trained him well

www.rodshopperformance.com is where i got mine from, i painted my chrome tips with rust protection but they still rusted... ever since then i will not put chrome back on my car... its to ****ty.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Like Danger said you have to take care of the chrome if you want it to stay looking nice. I would polish it everytime I wash my car
Atleast that is what I do. It takes more time but it is a small price to pay to keep my ride looking good.

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Mjcorn23 said:
Like Danger said you have to take care of the chrome if you want it to stay looking nice. I would polish it everytime I wash my car
Atleast that is what I do. It takes more time but it is a small price to pay to keep my ride looking good.
Exactly :good: :good:

I clean and polish my tips everytime I wash the car NO EXCEPTION!!!

·
Registered
109 Posts
would clear powdercoat help the rust on the chrome or stainless?

·
Premium Member
19,890 Posts
Stainless isn't gonna rust unless you simply never clean it. As far as a clear powdercoat, I doubt it would do any good since the rusting has already started.

·
Registered
82 Posts
lowflyn said:
Stainless isn't gonna rust unless you simply never clean it. As far as a clear powdercoat, I doubt it would do any good since the rusting has already started.
That is correct

·
Premium Member
5,187 Posts
Depending on the quality stainless is less likely to corrode. But in a salt or ocean enviroment it will corrode rather fast if not cleaned and polished. Clear coating is only good on new surfaces or resurfaced material and on the exhaust would not last but if you used Zoop it would!!

·
Premium Member
595 Posts
just stay away from chrome. :p

good stainless is more than chrome but is 100x better. follow spector's style and advice and get long tips so when other parts begin to rust you don't have to look at it and it's all tucked nicely behind the wheel.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts