Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I did an oil change yesterday and when replacing the oil filter I noticed there's a lot of salt left over from the winter (I live in NJ) in the same area. When I wash my car I spray water up and under the car, but the aero-shield blocks it (obviously) and salt is left. Is there anything in there I can damage by undoing the aero-shield and spraying a bunch of water up there to get rid of all the salt? I'm a bit afraid as there is a metal box with two sensors plugged into it. No idea what it is but it's edges are starting to rust!

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I would not worry about it with a newer car...cars are semi-water proof. try to avoid spraying connectors and do not spray a hot engine.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should I cover the connectors with plastic or something? I wouldn't be able to avoid getting the connectors wet.

·
Super Moderator
5,240 Posts
I wouldn't bother...better if you do but I wouldn't. Think about it, cars are driven in rain and through puddles every day.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Although this was a couple of years ago....I was racing at Bonneville and driving on the salt for over a week................the underside of my 08 Dodge Ram was caked with salt...everywhere. I had it pressure washed on a drive up ramp twice during race week and again when I left.........this was a real pressure wash and never hurt anything. From time to time on the long road home I'd hear a chunk of salt fall off from underneath the truck.
If it makes you feel more comfortable..........wrap it with a large plastic bag and tie it off with a zip tie.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info. I'll undo the shield and spray some water up there. I probably won't cover anything up but to feel more comfortable I'll use the gentle setting lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts