Mustang Evolution Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well crap luck strikes again. Today on my home from work a guy in a SUV crossed 4 lanes of traffic in a big hurry. I was in the right lane on the farthest side of traffic. He came in front of me in an instant. I hit him doing 32 but he was traveling 60 or so. My car is totalled and gone. There won't be any fixing this. They rolled a couple of times and came to rest on the roof. I have sought out a lawyer and am currently sitting in the hospital with back, neck, and shoulder injuries. Will update in the next few days. But she's gone. All that cam work and motor work. It's all gone. The motor was pushed back.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hope you heal quick and get your monetary stake back. Sadly a lawyer is absolutely necessary to get what you deserve.

·
Admin
5,822 Posts
First, glad you are able to write this, as it indicates you are healing. Smart move obtaining a lawyer; this sounds like a good case for one.

There are other Mustangs you can fall back in love with. First issue though is getting healed.

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident and as Bucko said at least you able to tell about it. As long as you can heal there will always be another Mustang out there with you name on it.
Getting a lawyer is a smart move, hopefully a really down and dirty nasty one who will fight tooth and nail for you...good luck and keep us in the loop.

·
Registered
75 Posts
As everyone else has replied, glad to hear you are still amongst the living. To clarify I assume from your post you and the guilty driver were heading in opposing/opposite directions - was it a partial or full head on collision. Hopefully you have good documentation on the costs of all the mods you had made of your former ride. From past experience I was able to claim and be reimbursed for depreciated value of significant modifications to a previous vehicle I owned but was totaled by another driver. Another thought, based on the lawyer you find perhaps you will have a newer ride totally or at least partially paid for when your case is resolved. Wish you the best of luck and a speedy full recovery without any long term issues.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Sad Loss.....

Sorry for the loss of your car. Hopefully you will recover from all of your injuries. Before you pick up a lawyer, do this. Lawyers will usually charge you 1/3 of the total suit and their expenses. If you go to court, they want 40% + their expenses.

Since you have a suit that won’t be fighting to as who is at fault....try this.

1) Any doctor you want to see, will not want to take your personal health insurance. They will want to charge you full cost and if it takes a couple of years to settle the case, you will be charged interest fees on your case. Don't be surprised if the case drags on, you may get sued by them.

Tell the doctor's claims person, that you’re not even sure if you have a claim, against anyone, you’re not even sure if he has any car insurance and you haven't hired an attorney. Don't sign any type of contracts at the doctor's office. If they get pushy, walk out the door.

At this stage, you don't need an attorney, as your still deciding on which doctor to choose. Don't take any business cards or recommendations from anyone in the doctor's office.

Remember, doctors and lawyers want the big bucks and they sometimes will work together instead of for you. Depending on the state, you have 1-2 years to file a lawsuit. No sense in giving an attorney money for sitting on his *** while you are healing. Most of the time, insurance companies will settle for the vehicle, it's the pain and compensation that are the biggies....

Tell the attorney:

1) All medical expenses get paid first.
2) Any fees you should get reimbursed for. (Car, towing, storage fees, and any deductibles that are out-of-pocket.
3) Then the attorney can have his office expenses.
4) Then the attorney can have his 1/3. Otherwise, the attorney will be taking more money from you and less for you in the long run.

Some attorney will try to get around but the bottom line is you’re in the driver's seat. He or she may whine about their not really making much money but if he is any kind of reputable attorney, he will realize that he has a good case, since you’re not at fault. Attorneys handle a lot of cases at the same time, so they realize it may be awhile before they get to court.

Start documenting everything you can remember, from time of the accident.....Not, got up and body hurts. Everything you do, from taking a dump when you get up, until you go to bed. How many hours are you sleeping? Can you get your mail, if you live in an apartment or is your mailbox out on the road. Everything you can document helps you and slam dunks the reckless driver.

Your attorney will want all your bills, so he can pay his $15 an hour paralegal and charge his $200 an hour for organizing your bills. Make a spreadsheet to document all bills. You may have to keep this log for a couple of years. Nothing is worse than when you are giving a deposition to the other side, when they start asking questions, what did you do on May 29, 2017? The deposition will sometimes crush any defense that he has. If on the other hand, you can't remember or you took very few notes, then you may not actually have all of the pains you are suing for.

Prepare for a long time, you don’t want to settle any claim quickly, you might have permanent problems and you want to be compensated for all current and future injuries that could arise from the accident.

GOOD LUCK....:thumb:

·
Registered
166 Posts
Slater sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you have a speedy recovery and that the lawyer gets you everything you're entitled so you can get started on another pony! Will be praying for you on both fronts!

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Sorry for the loss of your car. Hopefully you will recover from all of your injuries. Before you pick up a lawyer, do this. Lawyers will usually charge you 1/3 of the total suit and their expenses. If you go to court, they want 40% + their expenses.

Since you have a suit that won’t be fighting to as who is at fault....try this.

1) Any doctor you want to see, will not want to take your personal health insurance. They will want to charge you full cost and if it takes a couple of years to settle the case, you will be charged interest fees on your case. Don't be surprised if the case drags on, you may get sued by them.

Tell the doctor's claims person, that you’re not even sure if you have a claim, against anyone, you’re not even sure if he has any car insurance and you haven't hired an attorney. Don't sign any type of contracts at the doctor's office. If they get pushy, walk out the door.

At this stage, you don't need an attorney, as your still deciding on which doctor to choose. Don't take any business cards or recommendations from anyone in the doctor's office.

Remember, doctors and lawyers want the big bucks and they sometimes will work together instead of for you. Depending on the state, you have 1-2 years to file a lawsuit. No sense in giving an attorney money for sitting on his *** while you are healing. Most of the time, insurance companies will settle for the vehicle, it's the pain and compensation that are the biggies....

Tell the attorney:

1) All medical expenses get paid first.
2) Any fees you should get reimbursed for. (Car, towing, storage fees, and any deductibles that are out-of-pocket.
3) Then the attorney can have his office expenses.
4) Then the attorney can have his 1/3. Otherwise, the attorney will be taking more money from you and less for you in the long run.

Some attorney will try to get around but the bottom line is you’re in the driver's seat. He or she may whine about their not really making much money but if he is any kind of reputable attorney, he will realize that he has a good case, since you’re not at fault. Attorneys handle a lot of cases at the same time, so they realize it may be awhile before they get to court.

Start documenting everything you can remember, from time of the accident.....Not, got up and body hurts. Everything you do, from taking a dump when you get up, until you go to bed. How many hours are you sleeping? Can you get your mail, if you live in an apartment or is your mailbox out on the road. Everything you can document helps you and slam dunks the reckless driver.

Your attorney will want all your bills, so he can pay his $15 an hour paralegal and charge his $200 an hour for organizing your bills. Make a spreadsheet to document all bills. You may have to keep this log for a couple of years. Nothing is worse than when you are giving a deposition to the other side, when they start asking questions, what did you do on May 29, 2017? The deposition will sometimes crush any defense that he has. If on the other hand, you can't remember or you took very few notes, then you may not actually have all of the pains you are suing for.

Prepare for a long time, you don’t want to settle any claim quickly, you might have permanent problems and you want to be compensated for all current and future injuries that could arise from the accident.

GOOD LUCK....:thumb:
This is very good advice. I wish I would have known this when I was in my accident. I have permanent leg,back, and neck problems now and I'm 23. I haven't been pain free for 2 years now and it's so exhausting after 4 years of fighting my case they just screwed me over. I was paid, but not even close to an amount that even helped me.

I'm very glad that you are still here and able to post. In the end, the car is just a car and the important thing is your health. Metal can be replaced but life can't. I wish you a fast recovery and good health in the future. It took about 3 years for all of my issues to surface (so far).

Sent from my SM-G930V using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Registered
140 Posts
sorry to hear it. hopes for you to heal quickly.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I got out of the hospital Tuesday night. My back is pretty messed up from what it already was. My lawyer is handling everything. Just happens to be the biggest lawyer in Jax and a personal friend of my mother.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I got out of the hospital Tuesday night. My back is pretty messed up from what it already was. My lawyer is handling everything. Just happens to be the biggest lawyer in Jax and a personal friend of my mother.

Well glad to here your out get better and a good thing the lawyer is a friend of your moms at least you shouldn't get railroaded

Sent from my LG-H918 using Mustang Evolution mobile app

·
Premium Member
2,757 Posts
Glad to hear you are home and that you seem to have a lawyer that can make things happen for you.
Just remember the most important person in this whole equation is you...and only you!
A piece of metal can be reborn...a human body not so much.
Take care and keep us informed.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I guess I need to head over to the towing yard they took it to. I need to unmarry my tuner. I don't know if I'll be able to if I can't put power to the car. I have pictures of the accident but I won't post those until the case is closed just in case someone wants to be sneaky on the other side of the courtroom.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Our hoods are fiberglass in case anyone was wondering.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts