Mustang Evolution Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally about to purchase the last piece to the my car...it's taken me 2 years to get it here and it will be my last cosmetic mod...and I am scared to death to try and lower it myself..people say it's simple but I'm very scared that I will mess something up...I'm 18 with a little bit of knowledge, an online tutorial I found,and my grandpa that used to fix cars for a living... Will I be able to do this?

·
Registered
490 Posts
oh yeah! its super easy. i did my car all by myself but an extra hand helps. dont be scared! just remember you need to have it aligned a couple days after you lower it after the springs settle

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
98vertgt said:
oh yeah! its super easy. i did my car all by myself but an extra hand helps. dont be scared! just remember you need to have it aligned a couple days after you lower it after the springs settle
What will happen if I don't align it? Lol

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
Doe_Rae_mi said:
I'm finally about to purchase the last piece to the my car...it's taken me 2 years to get it here and it will be my last cosmetic mod...and I am scared to death to try and lower it myself..people say it's simple but I'm very scared that I will mess something up...I'm 18 with a little bit of knowledge, an online tutorial I found,and my grandpa that used to fix cars for a living... Will I be able to do this?
I would at least have a friend help. I personally would have it professionally installed.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Doe_Rae_mi said:
What will happen if I don't align it? Lol
Your tires will wear super fast

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Black on Black said:
I would at least have a friend help. I personally would have it professionally installed.

---------- Post added at 04:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:59 PM ----------

Your tires will wear super fast
Oh lord I just got new tires :(...would I take it to a suspension shop to have it aligned? And what are they aligning?

·
Registered
7,204 Posts
Doe_Rae_mi said:
Oh lord I just got new tires :(...would I take it to a suspension shop to have it aligned? And what are they aligning?
Your tires :p and yea a local alignment shop will do it. It ain't that expensive. As long as all your suspension is good.

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Do it yourself it's simple saves money too

·
Registered
559 Posts
How much of a drop is it? 2 inches or more and I would definitely recommend caster camber plates. Mine is dropped 1.5 inches all around and I have had no extra tire ware. An alignment is always a good idea, but if it's less than 2 inches you should be okay regardless.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Black on Black said:
And BTW your car don't look green no more :p
Haha! Thank you for your help

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Matticus said:
How much of a drop is it? 2 inches or more and I would definitely recommend caster camber plates. Mine is dropped 1.5 inches all around and I have had no extra tire ware. An alignment is always a good idea, but if it's less than 2 inches you should be okay regardless.
Mine will be 1.7 in the front and 1.5 in the back

·
Registered
559 Posts
Haha! Thank you for your help

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Mine will be 1.7 in the front and 1.5 in the back
I think you'll be okay, an alignment certainly won't hurt though if you want to go ahead. Also, to help the springs compress to the correct height, I'd keep some weight in your trunk for a few days. Something like a 24 pack of water bottles or something that has some weight.

·
Registered
7,311 Posts
I lowered mine the other day by myself no spring compressor in 2 hours...sr performance springs from AM. Ive now lowered 5 stangs and its always a cake walk. I wait two weeks till an alignment though.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Matticus said:
I think you'll be okay, an alignment certainly won't hurt though if you want to go ahead. Also, to help the springs compress to the correct height, I'd keep some weight in your trunk for a few days. Something like a 24 pack of water bottles or something that has some weight.
Thank you! I'm deffinetly ganna align them if it helps save tread...ill be ordering my springs tonight

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1slosix said:
I lowered mine the other day by myself no spring compressor in 2 hours...sr performance springs from AM. Ive now lowered 5 stangs and its always a cake walk. I wait two weeks till an alignment though.
How much do u think it will cost? Just a estimate?

·
Registered
3,903 Posts
Did you use the right springs? Lol.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts